need help asap!

jon1178

well igot the hub off but now i cant get the lower ball joint seperated from the spindle. i have put a bottle jack under the ball joint and beat the sh$$ out of the top of the spindle with a 3 lbs sledge hammer and the damn thing will not come off any suggestions???

well went and bought a bigger sledge hammer 8lbs and still no luck on the bottom ball joint... is there a tool that can be bought for this job?? i am almost ready to say screw it and leave it at stock ride hieght. i am sure i will have to get an allignment either way now because i have beat the crap out of this thing for about 2 hours now and it still willnot budge.

well went and bought a bigger sledge hammer 8lbs and still no luck on the bottom ball joint... is there a tool that can be bought for this job?? i am almost ready to say screw it and leave it at stock ride hieght. i am sure i will have to get an allignment either way now because i have beat the crap out of this thing for about 2 hours now and it still willnot budge.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthan14.html

4th product down the page. You can find these "forks" that will go in an air chisel, works great! You could probably rent one from your local parts store.

korey i thought about using these but would't it damage the ball joint?

I dont think so, but i'm honestly not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. I did not need one when I put on my spindles. I beat the crap out of the knuckle, then "moved" the knuckle around a bit, then continued to beat the crap out of it. eventually the joints and tie rods just "popped" loose. I can't believe you can't beat it off. How many miles are on your steering knuckles?

-K-

41.000 miles on it. the only thing left holding it on is the lower ball joint. i have given up for today my head is pounding from all the noise from beating on it with a 8lbs sledge. the top of the spindle is pretty much flatened i will have to retape the holes on top if i want to use it again.

I dont understand why its still binding that bad. Are you absolutely sure you have the nut off there. I know when we lowered mine Michael was having a hard time with what you were experiencing but when we got tired of beating on it we checked it again and we forgot take the nut off. Other than that beating on it is all I have ever heard of anyone having to do.

well i finally got the front all done.. i ended up having to take the whole damn lower a-arm off to get the lower ball joint free on both sides. i think i may have set a new record on length of time to install spindles but oh well at least the hard part is done. i think i am going to drive it down to get the allignment done early saturday so i know i will be able to get it in to be done then once i get it back home i will be putting the shackles on the rear.