Possible DIY Grill / Grill Inserts?

I was flipping through the lastest PartsExpress catalog and an idea popped into my head...could the sheet of metal mesh for speaker grills be used to create a custom grill for the SSS (or any other car/truck). Hope it's legit to include links to non-sponsor sites when it's for reference and not sales...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=262-878

I haven't gotten far enough to measure the length of the pieces needed vs the sections available from PE, but was here at work and I started thinking more about how the metal might be shaped with wood blocks etc and figured I'd toss the idea out there. Anyone attempted something like this before? I even like the thought of the black powdercoat.

JB

One big consideration would be how much it restricts airflow into the engine compartment. Most of the speaker grilles I've seen have some pretty small holes. I've seen on this site discussion about how even a bolt-over billet grille might block some air. You would have to be pretty careful, I think.

One big consideration would be how much it restricts airflow into the engine compartment. Most of the speaker grilles I've seen have some pretty small holes. I've seen on this site discussion about how even a bolt-over billet grille might block some air. You would have to be pretty careful, I think.

Definitely a good thought. I had already considered that point, but was prolly overestimating the flow that would actually get through. I guess true racemesh is made with 'strands' that are rounded, which permits higher volume of air through than the same sized 'cutouts' of the same area in a flat piece of metal. I'm going to keep my eyes out for different materials to play with and even begin making a positive then negative mold that materials could be shaped into...or maybe I'll just get back to work - stinking Mondays!