&%^$&^%$!

usabodyguard

ok so yesterday i got my baer 6piston front kit and my alumasport rear kit... and headed out to get them put on for the g2g...

got to extreme automotive and unpacked the boxes, got the truck on the lift, took off the front wheels.... you can see this setting up for a turn of events...

Although my wheels are 24"s they have such a deep lip - 6" - my baer 6 psitons didnt fit, that's when the air was filled with expletives, .... "are you f'n kidding me?'

at that point i thought my passenger door would look better with a size 17 shoe print about 3" deep would be a nice addition... goosfraba.... gooosfraabaaaa....

ok, truck still in tact i called Baer and said... ok, what now?

If you have ever had to deal with Baer, they are unbelievably customer oriented, regardless of my current situation with them, they must have called me five times today trying to help me, when all i needed was a 1/2 inch spacer between the wheel and the rotor, which means 1/2 less of lug thread.... The tech, Dutch, random name i know, great guy though... he said the use spacers all the time in fact he has a 1" spacer on his yukon, but he opted for longer lug nuts... but he said i would be fine with a half in... so the offer to overnight them for saturday delivery, but my brake guy doesnt work on Saturdays and i offered to pay him more, but he said no, lazy ass... drives a ford anyways hahaha...

so... after that i went and got all new carpet... felt a little better after that...

here is my question... would spacing my wheel out a 1/2 inch be unsafe... anyone mechanically inclined who actually know please ring in... i dont need to be unsafe with wheels...

always something... ugh

Edited by usabodyguard (see edit history)

Not trying to make things worse, but I wouldn't run any spacers! I had some experience with spacers back in the day and the wheels shops could never get it to balance right simply because of those spacers. The wheel would balance perfect off the car, but when installed on the car, it would shimmy. The only way to get it balanced right was to do it on the car. At that time, some places still had that machine to spin the wheel and balance it on the car, but I doubt it's still around with all the new technology now concerning tire balance. That would be a major concern for me if I were in your shoes since your running 24's and I know those things aren't light! Also, with the spacers it would push your wheels out more.

I would say if you can stay away from spacers then do it. Maybe you can machine the wheel where it touches, just an idea. I doubt you would want to change your wheels, but there are some companies out there that will make you custom rims with the backspacing you need to run those brakes. Again, just another idea.

As long as they are "HUB CENTRIC" spacers you will be fine and be able to balance your tires. Hub Centric means that it's machined to fit the hub of your specific vehicle and will not wobble from side to side. I've used up to 3/4" spacers in other vehicles for autocross, where I was pulling 1.3-1.4G's pretty often without issues.

You will need to check that you have 1/2" to spare as it will push the wheels out another 1/2" as stated.

For myself, I would get 1/2" long studs just to keep thread engagement into the lug nuts as far as possible. I've broken 3 wheel studs on my SS and I've recalibrated my torque wrench twice and it checks out fine, and that's without spacers! I just don't trust the stock studs much because of that...

As long as they are "HUB CENTRIC" spacers you will be fine and be able to balance your tires. Hub Centric means that it's machined to fit the hub of your specific vehicle and will not wobble from side to side. I've used up to 3/4" spacers in other vehicles for autocross, where I was pulling 1.3-1.4G's pretty often without issues.

You will need to check that you have 1/2" to spare as it will push the wheels out another 1/2" as stated.

For myself, I would get 1/2" long studs just to keep thread engagement into the lug nuts as far as possible. I've broken 3 wheel studs on my SS and I've recalibrated my torque wrench twice and it checks out fine, and that's without spacers! I just don't trust the stock studs much because of that...

wow thank you for that... i may go get some bigger lug bolts for the front.. i know that BAER is sending me spacers and hopefully they are hugcentric... the folks at BAER say they use these with much success and they did ask me again, (the tech), what kind for truck i have... so they would send the right ones...

i have plenty of room to spare... i just want to fab something that WORKS safely, until i pony up and get some new wheels, which I have been thinking about for some time now...

EDIT - REMEMBER - I HAVE A 2WD and the SPACERS ARE FOR THE FRONT WHEELS AND THE NOT REAR...

Edited by usabodyguard (see edit history)

dam man that sucks , but its not the first time ive seen this with these brakes, jon's clear his wheel by about an 1/8th of an inch. do your wheels tuck at all or are they dead even with the fenders? it would look kind of goofy if you had some spacer that made them stick out a bunch.