It's time

Bonj87

well,

im CONSIDERING trading my SSS in for a 2007 Silverado LT. .but only if i can get one in blue, leather seats, powered mirrors, etc.

i want the AFM and the E85 ability..well, just cuz.. plus the 5.3 will burn less gas.

thoughts?.. let the flames begin!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well,

im CONSIDERING trading my SSS in for a 2007 Silverado LT. .but only if i can get one in blue, leather seats, powered mirrors, etc.

i want the AFM and the E85 ability..well, just cuz.. plus the 5.3 will burn less gas.

thoughts?.. let the flames begin!

Don't do it. The SS is a classic and will be for awhile. There's plenty that can be done to change the ss if you want to. I vote for keep the ss and buy the new truck if you must. :ughdance:

i dont think i can change the SS to get 20 MPG without spending about 5 grand, which nullifies getting the 20 mpg in the first place...

unless we have donors on the site with parts and equipment to help reach the 20.. see, i just started a new job.. 37-38 miles one way.. so about 75 miles round trip a day with 4 tolls in total.

the job pays well, but the gas is still killin me.. well over a 1/4 tank a day..

i dont think i can change the SS to get 20 MPG without spending about 5 grand, which nullifies getting the 20 mpg in the first place...

unless we have donors on the site with parts and equipment to help reach the 20.. see, i just started a new job.. 37-38 miles one way.. so about 75 miles round trip a day with 4 tolls in total.

the job pays well, but the gas is still killin me.. well over a 1/4 tank a day..

Buy a beater. I've got one and I drive 110 miles round trip to work. I've put $38(filled up) in the beater yesterday so that should last me the rest of the week compared to $125 per week for the SS. I know your pain.

I feel your pain... I would love to have something that gets better gas mileage than my SS, but i don't know if i could live without those little SS symbols on the side :) You could always put some SS symbols on the hoe :lol:

Buy a beater. I've got one and I drive 110 miles round trip to work. I've put $38(filled up) in the beater yesterday so that should last me the rest of the week compared to $125 per week for the SS. I know your pain.

I gotta drive about 40 miles aday ( i know a long way off from 110 but) I have a beater that costs about 35$ to fill drive the SS just around town or on the weekends.. I think its a good way to go

i hear ya. but im not paying a monthly payment on my truck to NOT drive it, and i dont see the joy in carrying another insurance policy on a beater.

for what id pay for a decent 'beater', i could put alot of money into the SS. Frank can get 23 mpg in his VHO, yet our SS's cant really get close to that.

i hear ya. but im not paying a monthly payment on my truck to NOT drive it, and i dont see the joy in carrying another insurance policy on a beater.

for what id pay for a decent 'beater', i could put alot of money into the SS. Frank can get 23 mpg in his VHO, yet our SS's cant really get close to that.

as far as gas mileage goes i think 23 is really optimistic for a VHO since it also has the 6.0. mine being 2wd is essentially the same configuration as his VHO and in a mix of mostly city and a few short freeway runs i get around 14. i could probably get 15 or 16 mixed if i really babied it and around 20 if i put the cruise control on the freeway for a long trip.

and i dont know about different states but i get a 20% discount for having multiple cars on the same insurance policy here in california. in fact years ago when i just had my dodge and i bought my current beater honda to go with it my insurance went down.

I have a cold air kit, superchips 91 octane program, & a cat back exhaust on my 2004 GMC VHO 4x2 w/ 3.73 gears, I've seen 21-22 on the highway a few times. I've never been more than 200 miles on these "trips", so 23 mpg could be possible on a FULL TANK highway drive (around this part of America). :thumbs:

My truck is ALL stock other than the above mods....

if you really want to go slow then buy the new truck, but just remember, there is no replacement for displacement! As for the A.F.M. it seems to only work in the tahoes when cruising below 60mph or going down hill. if you want fuel economy but a car(HONDA)

sss= 425 miles /16mpg= 26.5 gallonper week. x $3 per.gal.=$80 per week=$4160 per year

Honda civic=425 miles/35mpg=12.15 gallonper week x $3 per.gal.=$36.5 per week=$1900 per year

Difference of $2260 per year or 190 a month=small car payment> now who says you cant afford another car?!

Frank can get 23 mpg in his VHO, yet our SS's cant really get close to that.

Don't do it, keep the SSS. I don't think that a new 5.3 is gonna be that much better on gas mileage, granted you will be burning 87. My SSS gets 12-14mpg around town and 20-22mpg on the highway, so it is possible............and I wouldn't trade this truck for anything! :chevy:

I've got a long commute and don't want to put a million miles on the ss but I didn't want my commute to dictate what I buy. I have drove the SS to work the past 2 months because the AC was out in the beater. Getting to drive the SS every day was fun but it also got me a little tired of the SS. I love the SS more if I don't drive it all the time. Over time you will most likely get tired of any vehicle but if you drive it less I think you'll love it more. I appreciate my SS more when I don't drive it all the time plus I don't like spending $125 per week on gas. I have liability on the beater so it doesn't cost me $50 a month to cover it. I save that in gas in a little over a week. I think Frank has heads, cam and more on his VHO. That stuff isn't cheap.