TBSS vs. new tundra

mattstbss

i know i'm not sporting a SSS, but i've got a TBSS.....close enough :driving::lol:

there's been some guy around town with a tundra that has a programmer/tune of some sort that has been beating almost every truck he's come across. he even beat a bone stock 07 AWD TBSS and was feeling pretty confident the night i ran him. but ever since he bought the truck he's been wanting to run a friend of mine that owns a TBSS for $100. when i first heard of his offer i thought he had something up his sleeve. i think it's odd you offer to run a vehicle you're unfamiliar with, and throw money down on it.

anyways, me and the wife were out saturday night talking to some friends. a friend of mine pulled up and asked if i'd be interested in running a new tundra. that perked my interest up, and i asked him if it was the one i'd been hearing so much about and he said yes. he called him and we went out to meet. we got there and he wanted to run another truck that was there...a squarebody with a 383. the squarebody put a hurting on him pretty bad.

i still wanted to run him and see how i did. i wanted a flagger, but noone really jumped at the idea. so we went down and i figured i'd let him do the 3 honks, so he couldn't say i got a jump on him. he honked once and then the second 2 came really close together, i'm assuming so he could get a jump on me....well he did.

i had heard that his truck's traction control system was to lock in the front wheels....much like GM's auto 4wd is the best i've gathered it.

but either way, he came out of the hole just as hard as i did and his honking allowed him to jump about 1/4 fender on me. front of my bumper was around his tires. so he jumped out in front and i didn't immediately gain my ground back. my first reaction was "shit", but i held to the mat. i wound out 1st and was barely moving up on him and when it caught 2nd i jumped pretty good on him...instantly regaining my ground and putting some back on him. i continued to pull on him all the way through 2nd into 3rd, but not as well as i would have expected.

we raced a little more than 1/8 and my wife said when we passed i was about 1- 1.5 cars ahead of him. i talked to someone else who was watching and they said about 2 cars and gaining.

when we first got out to where we were gonna race he was kinda complaining about racing 1/8...saying he preferred 1/4 because his 3rd gear pulls really hard. after that race he should be glad we didn't race a 1/4, he said his 3rd was strong, but i dont think its strong enough to pull him ahead from that far behind, but i could be wrong.

all i have is a computer tune on my SS. all of you that are running forced induction, heads/cam, nitrous, or any major power adders i dont think you'll have a problem. you guys that are stock...you'll probably get beat. if you're running minimal mods: tune, cai, exhaust it'll be a really close race IMO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i'm not sporting a SSS, but i've got a TBSS.....close enough :driving::lol:

there's been some guy around town with a tundra that has a programmer/tune of some sort that has been beating almost every truck he's come across. he even beat a bone stock 07 AWD TBSS and was feeling pretty confident the night i ran him. but ever since he bought the truck he's been wanting to run a friend of mine that owns a TBSS for $100. when i first heard of his offer i thought he had something up his sleeve. i think it's odd you offer to run a vehicle you're unfamiliar with, and throw money down on it.

anyways, me and the wife were out saturday night talking to some friends. a friend of mine pulled up and asked if i'd be interested in running a new tundra. that perked my interest up, and i asked him if it was the one i'd been hearing so much about and he said yes. he called him and we went out to meet. we got there and he wanted to run another truck that was there...a squarebody with a 383. the squarebody put a hurting on him pretty bad.

i still wanted to run him and see how i did. i wanted a flagger, but noone really jumped at the idea. so we went down and i figured i'd let him do the 3 honks, so he couldn't say i got a jump on him. he honked once and then the second 2 came really close together, i'm assuming so he could get a jump on me....well he did.

i had heard that his truck's traction control system was to lock in the front wheels....much like GM's auto 4wd is the best i've gathered it.

but either way, he came out of the hole just as hard as i did and his honking allowed him to jump about 1/4 fender on me. front of my bumper was around his tires. so he jumped out in front and i didn't immediately gain my ground back. my first reaction was "shit", but i held to the mat. i wound out 1st and was barely moving up on him and when it caught 2nd i jumped pretty good on him...instantly regaining my ground and putting some back on him. i continued to pull on him all the way through 2nd into 3rd, but not as well as i would have expected.

we raced a little more than 1/8 and my wife said when we passed i was about 1- 1.5 cars ahead of him. i talked to someone else who was watching and they said about 2 cars and gaining.

when we first got out to where we were gonna race he was kinda complaining about racing 1/8...saying he preferred 1/4 because his 3rd gear pulls really hard. after that race he should be glad we didn't race a 1/4, he said his 3rd was strong, but i dont think its strong enough to pull him ahead from that far behind, but i could be wrong.

all i have is a computer tune on my SS. all of you that are running forced induction, heads/cam, nitrous, or any major power adders i dont think you'll have a problem. you guys that are stock...you'll probably get beat. if you're running minimal mods: tune, cai, exhaust it'll be a really close race IMO.

ooops.... never mind

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

I am going to guess that if you went to the full 1/4 you would lose. I forgot you are a TBSS whic h I feel pulls real good in the second 1/8, but I really want to say with your mods you would be very close.

Good run man! Guy seemed like a dick before the race...how was he afterwards? Good kill, love the fact that the wifee comes along to play with you too!

he took his loss pretty graciously. i did forget to mention that he said "my truck didn't shift out of 1st gear right" :icon_bs::crackup: but i dont have a problem with him. and yeah, she likes to see me win :driving::thumbs:

I am going to guess that if you went to the full 1/4 you would lose. I forgot you are a TBSS whic h I feel pulls real good in the second 1/8, but I really want to say with your mods you would be very close.

well i'm not too far from putting my cai on (it's sitting in our closet, i'm just too lazy to take time to put it on lol), and then biting the bullet and buying underdrive pullies and putting on a set of LS1 fans. a friend of mine got an excellent deal on his pullies and e-fans. i've been trying to hold out and see if i can get a similar deal, dont look like it's gonna happen. i was still pulling on him when we let off, so i feel that i would kept putting distance on him pretty efficiently

have you looked at relocating the IAT sensor and othe rways to fight the heat that kills the TBSS. When we took one to the track by the fifth run with staging cool downs, I ran him by the last run ( I got a good light too). That might be the deciding factor-if you are hot he will win, but if you are cool or the temps are good you would win. OR he might break a camshaft...

What pisses me off the most about this is that a TOYOTA truck is that fast... those trucks are usually only driven by gardners. In fact, MY gardner has a black one (not a new one, maybe an 04-05)

Then again, its trucks like this that make Chevy work that much harder to make a better performing truck... but it shows that Toyota doesnt need an 'SS' appearance package and marketing scheme to put out some power... almost makes me think if Toyota wanted to come out with an SS and SRT competitor it would take the trophy...

What pisses me off the most about this is that a TOYOTA truck is that fast... those trucks are usually only driven by gardners. In fact, MY gardner has a black one (not a new one, maybe an 04-05)

Then again, its trucks like this that make Chevy work that much harder to make a better performing truck... but it shows that Toyota doesnt need an 'SS' appearance package and marketing scheme to put out some power... almost makes me think if Toyota wanted to come out with an SS and SRT competitor it would take the trophy...

Toyota has there marketing scheme every toyota comercial I see is about iForce 5.7L v8 tundra not to mention the giant badge on the fender.

Toyota has there marketing scheme every toyota comercial I see is about iForce 5.7L v8 tundra not to mention the giant badge on the fender.

I guess what I was trying to say is that they dont need a 'performance edition' to get good numbers and performance, thats their base trucks pretty much.. the SS is suppost to be the fast, sportier version and its not even faster than Toyotas pretty much standard motor.

did you use vect0r or DIY?

vect0r

I guess what I was trying to say is that they dont need a 'performance edition' to get good numbers and performance, thats their base trucks pretty much.. the SS is suppost to be the fast, sportier version and its not even faster than Toyotas pretty much standard motor.

well at the time the SS was released it was faster than the chevy base model and alot faster than their 'yota "counterpart"

we have to remember that the SS was designed and released in 2003 and this is a truck that is five years later which in todays world is a big difference!!! for a chevy truck that is five years old in design, the toyota shold almost be ashamed to be run down or not be able to run from our amazing SSS! One last thing, people have to remember also that the reason toyata is packin so much power and kind of nissan also is because there titan and tundra are the biggest trucks they have so they must be strong if they want to put them in the real pickup world of the HD and super duty trucks, we all know they stand know real chance against any of those trucks when a trailer is hooked up and or a steep grade is added into the mix!!!