Flying Cars Have Arrived

TexaSS

I think that thing is a bunch of BS... look at the 'test ride' video to the right of that page... and watch it 'flying'.

Notice the several CRANES above it coincidentally... hahaha..... I bet its hooked up to one of them... how lame

EDIT- Just watched the rest of the video and you can even see the rope holding it.. haahha

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

A little more than $75K, this was on the company web site:

The M200X volantor has completed over two hundred successful test flights. It has been extensively hard-tooled so that derivatives not requiring FAA certification are now available.

Recreational and utilitarian models include:

Demonstrators for use over one’s own property (M200D)

Versions that operate within ground effect--approximately 10 feet AGL (M200G)

Experimental or homebuilt variants (M200E)

Rescue configuration capable of docking with skyscrapers (Firefly 3)

Depending on the number of orders received the prices could vary between $125,000 for the M200G to $450,000 for the Firefly 3. Information on potential military and/or para-military applications of the M200R and M200M are welcome.

Interested parties should contact Bruce Calkins at [email protected], or by phone at (530) 756-5086 or facsimile to (530) 756-5179.

-BTW, I ordered one!!! LOL!! :crazy:

I think that thing is a bunch of BS... look at the 'test ride' video to the right of that page... and watch it 'flying'.

Notice the several CRANES above it coincidentally... hahaha..... I bet its hooked up to one of them... how lame

EDIT- Just watched the rest of the video and you can even see the rope holding it.. haahha

You're right about the crane and the rope, but it might just be there as a safety precaution. As it's landing, you can see slack in the rope while it is still in the air. If they wanted to fake it, they could have done a better job than that!

What happens when one of the 8 rotary engine fails?

And £44,340 works out to be a little bit more than $90K, rather than $75K...

Edit: Just checked out the website (moller.com). Turns out I rode my bike to campus right by this place just about every day for a year. Whoda thunk they were doing flying car development right there. :wtf: You can even see the crane from the video in Google Maps

Edited by .justin. (see edit history)

OH I so wish I could buy one of those; that's badass. Could you imagine the neighbors seening one of those parked in your driveway (the Moller I mean) :lol: Actually this is a good sign, I wonder if in 20-30 years these could be a mass produced reality? Wonder what upkeep is required...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Very cool, but another logistical nightmare...The issue with this kind of technology isnt necessarily the costs, but implementing laws etc. to control them. Also, I dont htink the average person could operate one. The big issue with advancing technology is society to be able to operate them. Most senior citizens refuse to learn computers (some do however, but some refuse to use microwaves also...), but can still drive a car because the dynamics of driving a car have not changed much in the last 100years. This would be a whole different dynamic for people. And for simple people with 80 IQ, they may not be able to figure it out, but can drive a car. Public education will be a huge factor. There is technology available for society to have an airplane that can carry a family accross the country, but why dont we have them? Your average person can not and should not fly them.

Imagine one of these things coming down the road and the old lady swerves and runs off over by where you are standing and takes your head off? LOL. Very cool technology but very dangerous to a society. If they can get the technology to where a reasonable average person can safely operate it, it will happen. Cant imagine the fuel bill being cheaper than what we already have. Either way though, I can definetly see short term commercial uses...small assault landing craft for military, rescue operations for local government, police and security work etc...most people in those professions are usually smarter than the average person and could probably handle it.