Predator Diablosport 2004 Tuner vs mail-in pcm tune

I have had a pcmforless tune in the past and really liked it. I recently bought an SS with a predator tuner and custom sport tune in place. It seems ok, but have a feeling the pcmforless was better. I don't think i'm to interested in messing with the predator mainly because i don't trust my knowledge, or lack thereof. I'd appreciate any opinions on this issue. Maybe it's worth giving the predator a chance. At present, i'm ready to sell the predator and go back to the mail order tune. Probably give brian a call eventually, just want to hear other stories. Thanks.

Go with a dyno tune or a PCM tune, best bang for your buck. I started out with a Hypertech PPIII handheld tuner, it had nice features but didn't give me the level of performance I was looking for (it has a very mild tune). I ordered a PCM from Charlie @ Wheatley Performance. I told him what I wanted from my SSS and sent him my dyno sheets, and he wrote me a custom tune from scratch (lifetime updates are free too). My SSS is a totally different beast now....it pulls much harder, shifts firmer and I gained 2mpg. In other words, there is a night and day difference between the handhelds and custom tunes. If you are gonna spend the money, go for a PCM swap or a dyno tune, you won't be disappointed. :chevy:

Go with a dyno tune or a PCM tune, best bang for your buck. I started out with a Hypertech PPIII handheld tuner, it had nice features but didn't give me the level of performance I was looking for (it has a very mild tune). I ordered a PCM from Charlie @ Wheatley Performance. I told him what I wanted from my SSS and sent him my dyno sheets, and he wrote me a custom tune from scratch (lifetime updates are free too). My SSS is a totally different beast now....it pulls much harder, shifts firmer and I gained 2mpg. In other words, there is a night and day difference between the handhelds and custom tunes. If you are gonna spend the money, go for a PCM swap or a dyno tune, you won't be disappointed. :chevy:

kind of what i was thinking just based on my limited experience so far. I appreciate the input. I'll have to check with wheatley and maybe check a few others out. Thanks again. BTW, have you tried pcmforless just for comparison vs. wheatley?

kind of what i was thinking just based on my limited experience so far. I appreciate the input. I'll have to check with wheatley and maybe check a few others out. Thanks again. BTW, have you tried pcmforless just for comparison vs. wheatley?

I have no experience with Brian Herter, but I can say that Charlie Wheatley should be the first person you consider, his work is top notch :thumbs: Also, consider checking out Zippy also....

• 4 weeks later...
also bryan told me either he or pcmforless owned a 04 ss they did all the research and testing on.

Any tuner spoken about here can do what you ask for like eliminating TM......as far as research goes, Zippy has a late model Silverado along with Charlie Wheatley too, so Brian isn't the only one who knows late model Chevy trucks :chevy:

• 4 weeks later...
is it possible to keep my stock PCM and get a tuned one from a tuner in case i need to swap back to stock?

Yes it is possible.......when I got my Wheatley tune, I kept my stock PCM for dealer/warranty service purposes. When you order a tuned PCM, you pay a core charge that is refunded to you when you send the old PCM back to the tuner. You can forfeit the refund, eat the core charge and keep the stock PCM like myself and so many others here have done. :chevy:

jsut talked to Bryan at pcmforless. he says they can get 10 more hp than the handhelds and also shut off the torque management.

you can shut off the torque management with a predator, i know most people on here will tell you mail order or dyno tune and they are right for the most part... if your going to use a handheld tuner then the predator is the best one, it will allow for a lot more adjusting and has more features then any of the other brands. and a lot of predator dealers can do a dyno tune for you and even program up to 5 custom tunes in your predator.

now if your going to get serious with it, then efi live is the way to go, but it involves a lot of trial and error on your part to learn how to tune it your self.

the mail order tuners are great afa everyone else is concerned, my experiance was'nt as good.

i think i'm just going to step up to a custom dyno tune (with the predator) or go to efi live and do it my self once i start getting a little deeper into my truck.

the mail order tuners are great afa everyone else is concerned, my experiance was'nt as good.

Exactly why I tune by mail the way that I do. All too often, there are mechanical variances that result in a tune that does not work well in one vehicle but works very well in others.