Disconnecting Airbags

RacerJJ

i always thought airbags saved lives..... where i have been lol? plus you have a helmet on when racing, you would barely feel the airbag if you wear a full-faced helmet

I'm an old school bracket racer and I wear an open faced helmet. The main reason is because I want to change steering wheels and I'm afraid it'll blow up in my face when I go to do it.

very easy , i just swapped out steering wheels. just disconnect your battery for 15 mintues. there are two small hols on the side of the wheel just behing the air bag/horn you need to get a small pick to release the air bag once done you can pul it off, there are two connections on the back simply unhook them. your airbag light will probably stay on however.

very easy , i just swapped out steering wheels. just disconnect your battery for 15 mintues. there are two small hols on the side of the wheel just behing the air bag/horn you need to get a small pick to release the air bag once done you can pul it off, there are two connections on the back simply unhook them. your airbag light will probably stay on however.

That's what electrical tape is for! I already have it covering up the DIC and the airbag light from when I removed my passenger seat.

:withstupid: be careful, sometimes it can take up to an hour for the airbag control module to de-energize....

• 4 weeks later...

I-car says disconnecting the battery and allowing ten min is enough time to disable airbags. also guys you should do this before any welding as not to short circuit the computer. one of the bodymen at my work just fried a computer welding with the battery connected. also for those of you that have a nissan in the driveway when ever having to jump start never connect the neg cable to the batt always use a different ground such as the strut bolt. the place i work is the body shop for the local nissan dealer and we fried three nissan computers before we found this out.

I-car says disconnecting the battery and allowing ten min is enough time to disable airbags. also guys you should do this before any welding as not to short circuit the computer. one of the bodymen at my work just fried a computer welding with the battery connected. also for those of you that have a nissan in the driveway when ever having to jump start never connect the neg cable to the batt always use a different ground such as the strut bolt. the place i work is the body shop for the local nissan dealer and we fried three nissan computers before we found this out.

Thanks for the tip! I have a Nissan too. :thumbs:

I-car says disconnecting the battery and allowing ten min is enough time to disable airbags.

Take it from me, if you are a home mechanic be safe and give it an hour if possible. It really depends on the make of vehicle and some do actually take an hour or so to de-energize. I have had extensive vehicle extrication and rescue training plus a wealth of experience from the hundreds of auto accidents I have seen over the past 5-1/2 years, many involving airbags. Play it safe, airbag systems are nothing to toy around with, a misfired airbag can kill you if you are not careful........ten minutes isn't enough of a cushion in my eyes. :happysad:

:withstupid: I had forgot about the welding tip. JJ, you may want to just pull all that stuff out since it's now a race truck.