Anyone ever try DER -AND- Zaino?

i spent three days doing the whole zaino process and ran out of the z6 spray... imo - too much work for the results, but i have a completely new paint job, this may make factory paint look good, but my paint already rocks... i am going back to the automagic line of detail stuff... the banana wax works well... and i have bublegum detail spray that rocks...

i was let down by zaino truthfully... and i did the 20 step proceedure -

dawn wash

clay bar

zaino wash

dry

z5 apply

z5 buff

z6 spray / buff

z5 apply

z5 buff

z6 spray/buff

z5 apply

z5 buff

z6 spray/buff

z2 apply

z2 buff

z6 spray

z2 apply

z2 buff

z6 spray/buff

i did this all in 24 hours over 2 days... it sucked and i was a little let down... i can get the same shine for less work and money.

PLus, every time you call zaino they are gone to some damn car show... they are only in the office a few days per week.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bodyguard, no offense but you made it more work for yourself. I guarentee you over applied and used to much product. IMO, 6 coats in 2 days is way too much. If you went through a whole bottle of Z6, than you defiantly used too much. When I first started using Zaino, I used to much of the Z2 and Z5 and I wasn't impressed with the results. After doing some reading and figured out a 1/2 ounce will cover the whole truck TWICE, I was amazed. Less is more when it comes to Zaino. If Zaino is over applied it will not work. How long did you let the wax dry before you buffed it off? The number one mistake people make is they use to much wax and they try to buff the wax off to early and all it does is smear the wax all over the truck again. Sorry if it sounds like I am jumping down your throat because you weren't satisfied, but when Zaino is applied correctly your paint should have been dripping wet.

I have used in the past

Meguiars Nxt Gen

Meguiars Gold Class

Mothers FX

Dupont Teflon

I just recently switched to zaino and tried there Zaino All In One and it looks and protects great. I just waxed it 2 weeks ago and the past 2 days my truck has been beatin with winds and hard rain and it beads really well still and still looks just as great and when I waxed it I toped it off with z8 grand finale spray and it does really top off the shine. Im going to wash and detail it this weekend so I will take pics for ya.

Bodyguard, no offense but you made it more work for yourself. I guarentee you over applied and used to much product. IMO, 6 coats in 2 days is way too much. If you went through a whole bottle of Z6, than you defiantly used too much. When I first started using Zaino, I used to much of the Z2 and Z5 and I wasn't impressed with the results. After doing some reading and figured out a 1/2 ounce will cover the whole truck TWICE, I was amazed. Less is more when it comes to Zaino. If Zaino is over applied it will not work. How long did you let the wax dry before you buffed it off? The number one mistake people make is they use to much wax and they try to buff the wax off to early and all it does is smear the wax all over the truck again. Sorry if it sounds like I am jumping down your throat because you weren't satisfied, but when Zaino is applied correctly your paint should have been dripping wet.

I used just under an ounce per coat... I guess i over applied it... but seriously, that in itself is a pain in the ass...

ok, so now what? I dont feel like ordering more z6...

and, dont worry, youre not jumping down my throat...LOL... in my line of work i hear much worse from those loser paparrazi's... but most of them have respect for me now after dealing with me for so long, that and i have a zero tolerance for bullshit... anyways i digress...

what do i do now with the zaino??

please dont say start over... ugh.

usabodyguard- I am glad I dont do your job... i know I would end up in jail for busting a rear naked choke or a thai kick to the knee on one of those paparazzi guys.. you probably have control of your temper so my hats off to you!

And dude, you put a lot of heart into waxing your truck. I havent seen many pics of it, but from your sig it looks damn nice. I agree with the other guy i think you over did it. When I use DER I usually spend about 4-5 hours detailing the truck. I do the following with DER:

1) Wash truck with Dawn, Dry with Absorbers

2) Claybar entire truck use water and/or McGuires Quik Detailer as lubricant

3) Wash truck, Dry with Absorbers

4) Polish with DER Real Stuff using microfiber applicator pads

5) Depending on amount of visible 'spider' scratches I may polish with Real Stuff again

6) Apply DER Shiney Stuff with new microfiber applicators

7) Go over entire truck with McGuires Quik Detailer and polish off with microfibers

I then re-apply Shiney Stuff every 2-3 washes, and every 4 months I redo the entire process. The wax lasts a long time... and the truck always shines and I always get compliments on the paint.

Now that I have a black car now too, I cant wait to see how it works on black paint. On red its amazing... on my wifes silver 350z it looks good, but not that drastic of a difference as on a red truck.

I hate carnuba based waxes, I think they are a waste of time as they break down in the sun and heat very quickly.

There are a lot more great products out there besides Zaino and DER. Do some reading and choose which suites your needs.

:withstupid: I have been a long time 3M user, I swear by the shine and durability of their products. The only bad point is that Pep Boys stopped carrying their product line, and put Turtle Wax Ice in its place. I have to buy it at a local autobody supply store now. Here is the result of............

1 coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

1 coat of 3M Perfect It Show Car Liquid Wax

:chevy:

wax1.jpg

wax2.jpg

wax3.jpg

I used just under an ounce per coat... I guess i over applied it... but seriously, that in itself is a pain in the ass...

ok, so now what? I dont feel like ordering more z6...

and, dont worry, youre not jumping down my throat...LOL... in my line of work i hear much worse from those loser paparrazi's... but most of them have respect for me now after dealing with me for so long, that and i have a zero tolerance for bullshit... anyways i digress...

what do i do now with the zaino??

please dont say start over... ugh.

Honestly, just continue with regular washes, this will remove all of the wax that didn't bond to the paint (if there is any). Then after a few washes, I would apply another coat of Z2. You don't even want to see it going on, that is how thin you want to apply it. Do you have a 500w Holagen light? These work great to detail under, you can see everything. As far as the Z6, make sure you don't over spray. Use small squirts. Again, a little goes a long way.

If you decide to order another Z6, which I recommend. Go ahead and order a bottle of Z8, this stuff is amazing. You use it after washes and it brings back an amazing shine in between coats of wax.

The first initial "prep/wax" of any product is going to be time consuming. After the first wash/clay/wax process is over, it is smooth sailing from there on out. Now all you need to do is apply another coat of Z2 when ever you feel it is needed. Now it should only take you less 30 minutes to apply a thin coat. Just like with anything, the more practice you get, the easier it will become.

In the long run Zaino will save you time concidering it will outlast any other product on the shelves. I hear of some people actually have trouble stripping the wax after several coats.

Like you said before, you have a new paint job, so it might be hard to get the WOW factor from any brand of wax because you are already dealing with shiny paint.

Good luck dude.

I have used in the past

Meguiars Nxt Gen

Meguiars Gold Class

Mothers FX

Dupont Teflon

I just recently switched to zaino and tried there Zaino All In One and it looks and protects great. I just waxed it 2 weeks ago and the past 2 days my truck has been beatin with winds and hard rain and it beads really well still and still looks just as great and when I waxed it I toped it off with z8 grand finale spray and it does really top off the shine. Im going to wash and detail it this weekend so I will take pics for ya.

I think for a daily driver, the All In One is great. I was very happy with the results for the amount of effort. Based on comments here, I will be ordering Z8 and the leather treatment. Once my SS is not a daily driver anymore, I will consider the full Zaino treatment.

I wish I had great paint to start with it would be much easier to buff out. It looks like the previous owner had wiped the truck down with sandpaper. It has some deep scratches in it. Luckily they don't break through the clear. I spent 4 hours just trying to buff all the scratches out of the hood with my circular buffer & my 3M Cutting compound.

One question? How long should you let the compound or wax dry before you buff it off?

One question? How long should you let the compound or wax dry before you buff it off?

You don't buff off a compound... it needs to be wet on the pad as you're applying to do any good, then wiped off with a MF polishing cloth after its been worked into the surface.

If the scratches aren't thru the clear a mild compound and a med. grade foam pad on a PC 7424 should be able to get them out with a few passes.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

:withstupid: I have been a long time 3M user, I swear by the shine and durability of their products......Here is the result of............

1 coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

1 coat of 3M Perfect It Show Car Liquid Wax

:chevy:

Here's another one for ya...........

DSCN0430.JPG

Like Dylan said, the compound has to be wet on the pad when applying for it to do any good...........in terms of wax, let it dry to a haze after applying, then buff it off. :chevy:

You don't buff off a compound... it needs to be wet on the pad as you're applying to do any good, then wiped off with a MF polishing cloth after its been worked into the surface.

If the scratches aren't thru the clear a mild compound and a med. grade foam pad on a PC 7424 should be able to get them out with a few passes.

OK thanks, that's what I did today. I just wanted to make sure i did it right.

Dylan, are you using a PC or UDM?

Still using the good old PC... I do want a UDM, but after reading some of the issues people are having on autopia I think I'll wait till my PC dies. By then the UDM should have all the bugs worked out in concept its a great machine... just has a few kinks to get straight and it'll be better than the PC IMO.