Ticking on Driver Side of Engine

Hey guys, you've always given great insight on everything engine related. I have a quick question:

I have a question more suited for engine tech. The truck has developed a pretty loud "ticking/pinging" noise on the driver side of the engine. Somewhat worried this may be "knock" or could it be something else. I havent had the chance to hook up the A/F Guage or even boost guage just because of the fact Ive been away from the truck and this is the first time driving it for a little over a week and a half. Would you have any idea of why the "ticking" developed?

To be honest I dont know what "knock/pinging" sounds like...DAMN Noobs....It sounds more like ticking to be honest, just in a worried mode after the install of the radix. .Justin. did a street tune and worked on it pretty extensively and I havent had the chance to install the A/F or Boost guage because Ive been on a business trip the past couple weeks. I drove the truck pretty hard tonight home from work. Just hope its something not to worry about and everyone has this problem or has experienced it...Ive turned the truck off and back on...still the ticking noise. Im going to turn it back over once it has time to cool off

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks ahead of time!!!

Thanks Again!!!

could be exhaust leak., to check to see look around the header or manifold. youll see black areas. my headers leaked and on two of the ports it made the valve cover black and on the head under the ports it was black

or it could be the manifold to Y pipe dougnut leaking

a slight tapping would be lifter but i doubt that

a loud tapping are rockers that just shit themselves

a knock would be rod or main

im going to bet for once and say possible exhaust leak

could be exhaust leak., to check to see look around the header or manifold. youll see black areas. my headers leaked and on two of the ports it made the valve cover black and on the head under the ports it was black

or it could be the manifold to Y pipe dougnut leaking

a slight tapping would be lifter but i doubt that

a loud tapping are rockers that just shit themselves

a knock would be rod or main

im going to bet for once and say possible exhaust leak

Thanks Quik and Mr. P. I havent checked the exhaust. Ill get under the truck tomorrow when its still light outside. I thought rocker or lifter issue also.

The ticking is under idle, and slight acceleration, under full I cant hear it over the radix whine and exhaust note. I just got done checking the truck after it cooled down and no ticking? Which makes me think it isnt an exhaust issue, could still be knock I guess.

Dude whens the last time you changed your oil? Get some fresh Mobil 1 5-30 in there and I bet it goes away..

Knock is when your accelerating (sometimes part, mostly WOT) and it makes a sound like marbles bouncing around in a Foldgers coffee can.

Oh yah and get the boost gauge installed.. i want to see what PSI your running, the gauge only showed 6 PSI for me when it should have been 7 with that 3.0 pully. Lemme know!

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

could be exhaust leak., to check to see look around the header or manifold. youll see black areas.

:withstupid: sounds like a header/manifold leak to me too..........check your gasket, make sure the bolts are tight, and be sure that the header/manifold flange isn't warped.........

Ok so I talked to Justin, and hes saying that is a oil starved lifter, or presumes it to be that way. I havent driven the truck much other than to vegas this past weekend, otherwise Ive been out on business trips. So It sounds like you guys hit the nail on the head.

It sounds "similar" to that ticking sound spooling, but much louder. Then again your truck sounds more agressive then mine at idle, no condensation though. Ill check again when I get home this afternoon. Im going to change the oil this weekend with the same syntethic Mobil Ive been using since I bought the truck.

Punkt71, Im just lazy man! I think this weekend Im going to go buy a sodering gun for some the wires that were cut and a NPT fitting for the truck and get this done. Then ill email you and let you know what im seeing with the 3.0 pulley.

Any of you guys ever get a squeeling sound from the drive train or somewhere underneath the truck, maybe exhaust is loose? Im going to try and get a video up tonight of it. Since my huge accident back in december 18K worth of damage, where they replaced the drive shaft and left side of the rear end I was wondering if you guys have heard of something similar. If i slam the door shut it will stop for a second, even my buddy got in the back seat last night and it stopped for a second and then once it gets moving at greater than 10mph it will stop and wont happen again until I let it sit for a few hours.

Truck seems to be on its period with all the issues its having this month.

Thanks for all the help again guys! :thumbs:

The noisy lifter and general engine noise is a known LSx engine design problem with GM. I received a letter not long ago about a class action lawsuit going on about it that anyone with an LSx engine should read, here is the website with info:

www.girardgibbs.com/silverado

Edited by pnblwzd (see edit history)