Couple of problems

DrLove38

I took my truck in for 2 things. One was to get the new steering shaft, 3rd trip, installed. The other was this clicking relay type noise that sounded like it was coming from behind the radio area. This sound is heard only when the blower or air is on. It does it about 90 % of the time.

The service writer says that they will take care of the shaft for the price of the basic diagnostic fee of 84.99. He said the relay would be about 3 or 4 hundred labor to tear all of the radio area out to get to it. And of course it was not clicking the morning I took it in.

He called about 4pm and said he needed to keep it overnite due to more checking on the relay problem. So he calls about 1130 the next day and said it was ready. I go down there and he says they never heard the noise but they downloaded some patch that controls the 3 relays under the dash.

I pay out and am driving out and see a new Vmax 4 door so I stop to look at it and when I get back in the clicking is going strong. I turn around and drive back to the service island and the guy hears the noise for sure. He says he will drive it in and let the mechanic hear it. He comes back out and says that yes it is the relay behind the radio and it will be 3 or 4 hundred to fix it.

I tell him I will wait on it and drive home.The clunking is gone so I am a little relieved. That is until a couple hours later I drive out on the highway and see that my dam steering wheel is not straight. It is cocked about 2 inches to the left when I am going straight which I can't stand. I don't know if the wheel just moved a bit when he had the shaft out or what. I wonder if I should take it to a front end shop and have them check the alignment while telling him the shaft has been changed or go back to the dealership and have them look at it. Has anyone had the clicking noise?

I had this noise (only slightly noticeable), but I assumed it was just crud in the blower fan or vents... If it's actually a relay, that's good news, I'll tear the dash apart and replace it myself... If you do go back to the dealership (which I personally don't recommend for the steering issue), get a part number out of them for the replacement relay...

That is until a couple hours later I drive out on the highway and see that my dam steering wheel is not straight. It is cocked about 2 inches to the left when I am going straight which I can't stand. I don't know if the wheel just moved a bit when he had the shaft out or what. I wonder if I should take it to a front end shop and have them check the alignment while telling him the shaft has been changed or go back to the dealership and have them look at it.

Take it back to the dealer for the steering wheel issue.........they worked on the steering shaft and now the wheel is crooked..........any good dealer will make good on this and take the appropriate corrective actions.........DO NOT pay them for an alignment, the repairs should be done at $0 cost to you by the dealer as they are the ones who made the wheel off center. :chevy: