01 Chevy Malibu

fox_forma

my retarded roommate has a 01 Malibu that has always ran great with no problems except tonight after we got back from Cali. He went to go pick up his dog that a friend was watching and he ran out of gas. A nice person stopped on the side of the highway where he was broken down and got him gas. Not much but enough to raise the needle over the empty mark but it still wont start. I have heard of some GM fuel pumps where if they run dry they are basically toast. Does this sound like the case? The car with crank over, all lights work, etc just wont fire up. Any ideas>?

i dont think that is just limited to GM...i burned up a fuel pump in my old ranger running it out of gas. if you had a fuel pressure guage you could just put it on and crank to see if youve got enough pressure....which i dont know how much you need on that vehicle.

is there anything else I should check? I remember my dads riviera had a cut off switch just for this type of reason. I guess it was a relay in case he ran the tank dry which he did a few times but somehow it reset itself or something and would be fine.

Now it almost seems like it wants to start but doesnt. We put more gas in it and I turned the key to the ON position and let it sit for like 10min like that. Tried to fire her up and it stutter started for a second then died like there wasnt fuel again. When this happened the gas gauge would drop to ) again but soon as I turned it off then put the key in the run position its showing the half tank it has.

Any idea on the priming situation?

Now it almost seems like it wants to start but doesnt. We put more gas in it and I turned the key to the ON position and let it sit for like 10min like that. Tried to fire her up and it stutter started for a second then died like there wasnt fuel again. When this happened the gas gauge would drop to ) again but soon as I turned it off then put the key in the run position its showing the half tank it has.

Any idea on the priming situation?

Try laying on the ground and whacking the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while somebody cranks the engine over. I have done this in situations involving a bad fuel pump and it usually works.........:chevy:

any chance its the fuel filter? The car has 120k+ on it and I doubt its ever been changed. I really am assuming its the fuel pump since the jack ass ran out of gas but it will start up for a second then just shut off again. I thought if the fuel pump went you wouldn't get any reading on the gauge yet he does show half a tank now after i put gas in it? If I crank it over for a little it will try to fire up then the gas gauge will drop back to empty till I turn the key off then back on...

I have listened for the fuel pump to prime and sometimes i hear it but other times I cant because for some dumb rreason when the key gets in the RUN position like 50 different bells and whistles comes on with it so it drowns it out. He said he was doing about 80mph when the car just shut down. I asked if by chance smoke was pouring out the back but he said know it just coasted to a stop. I just find it odd that at times it will almost fire up plus the gauge is still reading how much gas is in there. If the fuel pump was shot wouldnt it stay pegged at empty?