I broke it

I have a 2004 chevy VHO. Recently I broke the differential and chipped a couple gear teeth. I'm having problems on knowing what to get. Do I have a 28 or 30 spline pinion shaft? What size is the gear 8.5 or 8.6? And does it matter. I figured yall would be the only people that would know the REAL facts.

and for the idiots on the site like me ... you should never put ........." I don't know whats in my rear end "........ we get in trouble for laughing out loud too much at work :)

99 OBS and older were 8.5. NBS 99 and newer are 8.625. 2005 SS and VHO went to a 9.5" 14 bolt rear.

Did they change bolt pattern too or just he overall outer diameter when they went from 8.5 to 8.625? difference is .125" will they interchange?

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

and for the idiots on the site like me ... you should never put ........." I don't know whats in my rear end "........ we get in trouble for laughing out loud too much at work :)

:withstupid::crackup: some one had a thread earlier about speedo problems.. My first thought was men shouldnt be wearing those anyway..lol

Did they change bolt pattern too or just he overall outer diameter when they went from 8.5 to 8.625? difference is .125" will they interchange?
Diameter, but I'm sure the bolt pattern changed slightly. As far as I know the ring gears wont interchange. Alot of the bearings (carrier, pinion) are the same.

:withstupid::crackup: some one had a thread earlier about speedo problems.. My first thought was men shouldnt be wearing those anyway..lol
There should ba a law against that.

That was a good one huh. No pun intended.

When I was getting prices from Summit they told me the 8.5 gear would work. Those idiots. I'll have to look somewhere else. Has anybody had any luck with the Detroit Truetrac? If not throw out some opinions please. What about the pinion? Anybody know?

dam man that was the funniest shit ive heard in a while.

That was a good one huh. No pun intended.

When I was getting prices from Summit they told me the 8.5 gear would work. Those idiots. I'll have to look somewhere else. Has anybody had any luck with the Detroit Truetrac? If not throw out some opinions please. What about the pinion? Anybody know?

:withstupid: thats exactly what they told my friend that 8.5 would work...i searched on there site and couldnt find the 8.625 anywhere/. WTF :banghead: