Ahh SH*T, tranny problems.

Well, the other day I got the nitrous plate put on and got everything working(after me and my buddy realized we put the pills in backwards, plate is different from shark nozzle), and the day before I was working on getting the truck to launch better. So i launched it about 4 or 5 times from different rpms... 1500, 1600, 1800, 2000, 2200

i would mash the brake in as hard as i could and give it full throttle on the 2200 and i would let it fly, actually launched better at 1800...

well, i didn't hear nothing... trans seemed fine...

well, i get the plate on and me and my buddy go out to run some nitrous through it and i stalled it out to 1800-2000 and i come off the line and at 3000 i hit my little button to haul ass, well , i ran the nitrous through all the gears and i let off at about a buck twenty and turned off the nitrous and turned the bottle off... i start to slow down at one of my buddies house that lives outside of town and as im pulling up i hear this clink clink clink... clink clink clink...

well at first i thought it was coming from the motor.. i was like oh my god i already blew it up.. then i got to listening more and i was like, wait that is coming from under the truck... so i crawled under it and yup, it's coming from the tranny, just dont know where at.. so here comes tim and he says man, shoulds like your torque converter is going out..

here is the catch..

whenever i first start the truck the temp is down and no noise, after the transmission works up, still no noise, i start to drive the truck around and the noise starts, but it will quit, then if i go out and go about 55-70 i can barely hear it sometimes over the intake and exhaust.. but as i came into town the slower i get the slower the sound gets.. and when i rev the motor up it gets faster and when it idles down it gets slower to a half a second to one second interval of cling cling cling... cling cling cling...

any ideas? i asked sprayed99 and he thought it might have been a rod bearing at first but i told him how many miles i had and where the sound was coming from and he said maybe torque converter.. i've had a few people tell me the output bearing or something that is on the tail of it...

help me.. :confused:

Edited by semoSS (see edit history)

I had a noise similar to you and it turned out to be the starter not retracting all the way after the start. It would rub on the FP every so often. Took me a while to narrow that one down. Turned out that I didn't tighten down the starter all the way after my most recent tranny swap :banghead:

Get the truck up to speed on level ground where it is definitely making the noise, then pop the shifter into neutral and let the engine idle and see if the noise is still there or not; if it is still present at speed but engine idling then the problem is drivetrain (trans, transfer case, or diffs) but OTOH if the noise goes away then it's coming from somewhere ahead of the tranny.

Mr. P.