4.125 bore on iron block

I've got a bare 6L block that I basically got for free from a friend. It has some, uh, lightning holes in it (that can be repaired) and two cylinders that need sleeves. Since I can see into the cylinder liner part of the block due to the cracks/small hole in the 1 cylinder, I can see the minimum thickness of the bore liner itself and believe it's thick enough for a .125 overbore. Has anyone attempted this before? I've only read of people hearing rumors of it to be true, but no actual written or photographic proof.

The only way to know for sure is to get the block sonic checked, and ideally you want a wall thickness of .200" (500-600 hp) to .250" (race application). Walls on NASCAR blocks are like almost 3/8" thick :eek:

Mr. P.

The only way to know for sure is to get the block sonic checked, and ideally you want a wall thickness of .200" (500-600 hp) to .250" (race application). Walls on NASCAR blocks are like almost 3/8" thick :eek:

Mr. P.

Yeah, I know what's ideal and what's not. They are less than .2 stock without an overbore though, more like .1!!!!

I've run bored Ford 390's with an 1/8 of an inch between the middle two cylinders to turn them into 428's!!!

Yeah, I know what's ideal and what's not. They are less than .2 stock without an overbore though, more like .1!!!!

I've run bored Ford 390's with an 1/8 of an inch between the middle two cylinders to turn them into 428's!!!

with sleeves yes you can run a bigger bore but im not sure if you can run it that big, for the price of an iron block i wouldnt bother though. how much are sleeves? at least 1k for them all. then add machine work and all the other bs. imo just buy an lsx block and go for it with that.

Are you thinking of sleeving just the two damaged cylinders, or all eight? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to start with an LSX block? Personally I wouldn't do it, even if the cylinders hold they will more easily go out-of-round IMO... but if you've done it before then go with your experience.

Mr. P.

Are you thinking of sleeving just the two damaged cylinders, or all eight? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to start with an LSX block? Personally I wouldn't do it, even if the cylinders hold they will more easily go out-of-round IMO... but if you've done it before then go with your experience.

Mr. P.

Just the two cylinders. I'm going to sonic check the block and see what I would be left with... No nitrous, no forced induction... The work will cost me $310 including cleaning, magnaflux, sonic, and popping in new cam bearings. Now I just need a 4.125 stroke crank and can have a 447 (if I did my math right).