newbie saying hi with some ? (typical huh :) )

bigdogrod

hey all just found this forum... great source of info on the sss

i'm looking at a couple sss's

1: 03 victory red, 64k miles, $20,000, 1 owner

2: 04 arrival blue, 50k, $24,000, not sure

also looking at

06 sierra denali 30k miles, $32,000

07 f-150 harley davidson ed, 0 miles, 38,000 or so

07 honda ridgeline, 0 miles, 28,000 or so

07 avalanche 0 mi, 30,000 or so

my questions are these (i have searched, but would like to see other opinions)

reliability: i've read here that the trans is prone to failure along with the front diff bearings, is there anything else that i should be worried about, and how long will the engine, driveline, etc last before i have to start replacing stuff (i realize it's all in how it was taken care of, but i'd like a general idea)

condition: what should i be looking for to make sure i'm not getting myself into trouble, i don't want to buy a money pit (been there done that w/ my last chevy purchase (85 camaro, 305 tpi). i'd rather spend the $$$ on go fast parts

first mods: what's the best plan of attack to upgrade parts to avoid the 2 situations above?

is there a way i can i get it gm certified to get the longer warranty? even tho it's not from a gm dealership

thanks in advance

bdr

ive got 68k on mine and the biggest problems ive had were with the EVAP (evaporative emissions control) system which causes the SES light to come on, no driveability issues there. my front differential was rebuilt around 20k because of a bearing problem. besides that, the intermediate steering shaft is a problem for 99% of the members on here it seems, including me. my last visit to the dealership replaced the seal at each end of the drive shaft and the gauge cluster because one lamp went out.

Normal wear and tear other than that. I think youll find that most people with tranny problems are running a lot of engine mods and sending a lot of power through it. Mine runs/shifts as smooth as the day i bought it (knock on wood!) although my truck was completely stock until recently.

also looking at

07 f-150 harley davidson ed, 0 miles, 38,000 or so

07 honda ridgeline, 0 miles, 28,000 or so

:confused::puke::sick:

Anyways, welcome to the site. :cheers:

Use the search function to help answer your questions. Yes there are some common problems with the SSS, but no matter what you buy, every vehicle has its quirks. You can't go wrong getting an SSS, they are somewhat rare and have amazing mod potential........Mine may only be an '06, but I love this truck to death and plan on taking it to the grave.......good luck finding one you like :chevy:

The bouncing bobbies makes it impossible for me to read your posts at work or before the kiddies go to bed. Something a little more prime time appropriate please.

Dave in Great Falls

well if you want to start a riot then sure..lol I have had that avatar for well over 6 months and you are the very first to compllain about it. I dont see why either??? There is no nudity..

any vehicle you buy could potentially have problems. I personally have never had the steering shaft problem but my dealer did some work on it anyway. My front dif does make some noise but still is holding together. I wouldn't even put that honda ridgeline thing in the same class as the others. I saw go for the blue ss. they are rare for sure around my area. I've only seen 1 or 2 since I've owned mine. Plus AWD is fun when you put a SC behind it. :devil:

well if you want to start a riot then sure..lol I have had that avatar for well over 6 months and you are the very first to compllain about it. I dont see why either??? There is no nudity..

I like the bouncing boobies and they only make it difficult to read at work cause I can't take my eyes off 'em. :eek:

Oh yeah, the reason I was chiming in... I've had to replace the front end bearings, which also did some gear damage, suck!

i believe there is a setting to shut of sig's and avatars ... that might be a possible solution

click on your control panel ( at the top by your name)

click on board settings ( under options ... lower left )

and change the setting about viewing avatars to NO .....

That should make your viewing time more acceptable around kids and work.

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

I say go Silverado SS & go BLUE!!! :chevy: I have a "cousin" to the SS, a first year 2004 GMC VHO. It has the same engine, tranny, and 20" wheels. They can be found now as the Vortec Max Performance Package.

I also like Brad's avatar. :P

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)