SS Beat By a Hemi Vid Links

MN C5

There is really not much difference, between the Hemi regular cab and SSS performance. But the SSS does it in a lot more comfort, style, safety (AWD and slightly lower center of gravity) and with extra seating. Someone asked for info, so I posted an article.

I think that any anomosity that might be present here is that Dodge is arrogantly advertising the Hemi as the "end all to beat all". Contrarily, the unadvertised SSS's 345 hp is better put to use than the Hemi's 345 hp even considering the extra weight of the SSS extended cab and the added driveline losses from AWD. Nobody likes a braggart.

I like the Dodge ram. Aside from the Ford Lightning, I think that it is still the best looking from the outside. The SSS is very square. I seriously considered the Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab with leather for ALOT less money. If it weren't for the striking Arrival Blue color, I probably would not have given the SSS a second look and bought the Dodge Ram (they did not make any 2004 Harley Davidson F150s). The SSS ergonomics and interior leather had alot better feel than the Ram and everyone in my area seems to have a Ram.

Rick R

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you test drive an SS or standard Silverado?

Features like the 10-way power seats, leather, automatic mirror curb assist, memory recall seats, XM radio, stereo sound overall, and tight feel on the road all exceeded the Ram. Even my wife preferred the interior and ergonomics of the SSS compared with the Dodge Ram Quad Cab and she is not as picky as I am. She went with me to test drive the SSS and actually drove me to purchase it before I had test driven some other vehicles. This was my first full size pickup and I was concerned about my wife or daughter breaking the back-end loose on wet roads and getting sideways with 345hp (not good with high center of gravity vehicles). And I could tell right away from the test drives, that the SSS was faster than the Hemi Quad Cab.

The Ram's main pluses were price, nice front grille (with fog lights) and 4 real doors (can't get a shopping cart next to the SSS rear suicide doors in adjacent parking spaces). The Ram's leather was nice, but less supportive and more fat-guy plush. The Ram's white face gauges are a little nicer than the SSS version that takes on a ghost appearance in some lighting conditions. The Ram offers the 20" wheels only in chrome, so there is no hunt for one with that option. You can get side impact air bags. So basically, the Ram is a nice truck at a good price. The dealer indicated I could have the all-black monochrome, leather, 20" wheel Quad Cab with hemi version with many other extras for under $30K.

i agree, the hemi quadcab is slow...it only weighs a good 500 lbs (Atleast) more than the SSS... and I test drove a standard silverado... you think my thin wallett could afford an SS? RIIIIIIGHT... And if I recall all the options you mentioned you can get with the LT silverado... much like the one I test drove... It didn't have the seat of the pants feel of the HEMI though.. and it (silverado) was a 4x2 reg cab short wheelbase... maybe the 345 horses pushing 5000 lbs made it feel like it had more grunt....

i agree, the hemi quadcab is slow...it only weighs a good 500 lbs (Atleast) more than the SSS

I did not say that the Hemi Quad cab was slow ... far from it. It got up and went very strongly, and I would have probably been very happy with it. The SSS just felt faster. The Hemi Quad Cab dusts the new 300hp F150 extended cab and probably also makes short work of the Titan, Tundra (with supercharger TRD add-on) and about every other truck out there except obviously the Lightning, F150 HDs, SRT-10s and SSS.

As far as the weight, the Kelley Blue Book actually shows the 1500 2WD Quad Cab short bed to weigh a little less than the Silverado SS. The SSS weighs about 5100lbs.

Curb Weight   4877 lbs.

5070 lbs.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ns?kbb....7&&Pick-ups&&nc

Rick R

Archived