New hobby being taken wayy too far!

r8rs4lf

that shit is pretty fun rey , i used to be into bmx back when gt's box frame was this ish. i think that was late 90's , i still have my O.G. Gt interceptor i put together when i was about 14 and ill keep it until the day i have kids ( if that ever happens )

last year this time i bought a stock ass banshee , now it is about as fully built as a shee can be for riding dunes/hills . i am just getting it ready for this season . however i dont plan to put any more money into it.

my new hobby / money / time killer is my first house. i bought a single story home ( lived in a two story for 20 years and with hot climate it sucks) built in 1991, 2100 sq ft , 5 bedroom , 2 full bath , more than 1/2 acre lot size thats all flat with a big 3 car garage to fit the truck and toys ( bigger than avg being more than 24 ft deep ) has Rv/side access to pull in the rear or park our motorhome on the side. all flat land and tons of room to grow . it has mostly grass right now with assorted fruit trees in the rear .however it is way more work than i should have taken on at one time .i have pretty much completely rebuilt the entire inside of this house. from floor to drywall . it will be looking like it was built yesterday on the inside. i may be posting pics if i ever get done . i have setup a very nice 7.2 theater in my living room and a nice 7.1 in my bedroom . i cant even think of all the things i have done but if i were to make a mod list it would be equiviant to what i have done to my truck . which i am glad to say is out of my hands for now with rick at Synergy up north about 8 hours from here for the next few months . Which is really good so i can focus on finishing this place.

Ill be posting pics of all the work i have done to the house soon as i have had alot of help but also learned alot about interior work . i definately took on more work than i had ever dreamed. it will be worth it in the long run i think . after i get the interior finished i plan to focus on the exterior ( building a nice work shop in the back yard along with a pool for summer time parties). so this will be my hobby for probably the rest of my life. id really like to get a project 68 camaro but that will happen down the road once i get the big garage in the rear going.

BTW , ales your freaking crazy on the bikes. i bet they will make you money in the long run though .

I was the same way when we first bought our house. Didn't move in for a whole year cause I was working on it. Then we added 1200 square feet. :jester: I guess I didn't get enough the first time. It was all worth it though because our house is exactly how we wanted it and the fact that I shouldn't have to do any major work for a while puts a smile on my face.

As for the bikes, it has become a hobby for me somehow. I'm always looking on Ebay, Craigslist, etc., for more bikes and parts. It seems when I think I'm done, another bike pops up that I want. Initially I was going to sell that red Spitfire 5 after I picked up the womens Cruiser 5 for my wife, then I realized it's my only Spitfire 5 in the collection so more than likely I'll be keeping it. I just picked up some slightly used Schwinn Studded Balloon whitewall tires for the Spitfire 5 so I could sell it, but I've changed my mind. It currently has some NOS ones on there now and no way am I going to let those go. As for the value of the bikes, back when the economy was doing good, these cruisers were going anywhere from $500-$1000 on ebay. Now they are going for around $300-$500. I figure I'll snatch up ones that are in great shape now and if I ever need to, sell them when the econmy comes back.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into collecting unbuilt 1/25 plastic model kits from the 70-80's......I'm also into building them in my spare time, and if anybody else is into it, they know that the aftermarket for model cars is just like the 1:1's.........detail parts made out of actual aluminum... resin kits, etc. etc.......I started on a '72 Pro-Street Nova a while back, and spent about $40 on aftermarket aluminum/photoetch pieces just for the motor...even found some AN fittings for the lines etc.........It's CRAZY and adddicting!

I'm also into die-cast cars, which I'm currently collecting the "Pro-Street" series from Danbury Mint.....at $120 a pop, it adds up quick......

But, I also make some good money selling on eBay as well.....I sold 5 older MPC kits a while back, and cleared over $400......so it evens out....or so I would like to think....... :rolleyes:

My hobby that has taken over is DVD's. I started just buying only new movies that i realy liked then s tarted fishing the used section at blockbuster and the $5 bin at walmart, next thing you know I have over 700 and most i have only watched once and a few i have never even seen. Thousands of dollars blown :(

But I have only bought 2 DVD's in the last 7 months so Im doing much better

i kinda had a dvd problem for a while, i started with like 3-4 dvd's then every payday i would hit up best buy a bring back at least 1 dvd. i stopped for a little bit then started again but all that stopped recently when i got my house

Just be glad you are not into any type of competitive cycling... have you seen the price of the components alone of the high end stuff... talk about insane.

Although the new shimmano electic shifters would go nicely on my roadie...

lol, poor guy has more money into the wheels on his competitive bike then on both his SSS and his Beemer... :D

as for myself i think my only hobby now is my house. its my first home and i've only done a few things, chpspecial did a lot of the big work(great contract work!!!) but i'm slowing starting to work on the yard and getting my little garage ready. got a nice bar in there now and finally got my punching bag back which is great for releasing a little stress!!!

anyways, u guys have some great hobbies!!! dope looking bikes Alex, i remember my uncle had about 8 of them in Lennox almost all original in GREAT condition when i was a little kid...

-Rob

Picked up another one yesterday. It's currently in pieces getting cleaned and greased.

December 1980 womens Cruiser 5

376698550.jpg

This one is a little odd since it has the rear caliper brake instead of the drum like my red one. Note how the rear brake cable is situated at the caliper.

I'm trying as hard as I can to NOT have any more hobbies other than the SS, cant afford it :P . My brother in law is into the RC cars, bugs when he goes out to have fun with it, I keep refusing because I know I'll get into it and rack up the credit card. Same with paintball, mountain bikes, and the most tempting one right now is guns...

Used to spend alot on CD's and DVD's, then discovered torrents and spent a one time fee on an external harddrive :D , only time I'll buy a DVD is in blu-ray and if it's I REALLY like the movie.

Picked up another one yesterday. It's currently in pieces getting cleaned and greased.

December 1980 womens Cruiser 5

376698550.jpg

This one is a little odd since it has the rear caliper brake instead of the drum like my red one. Note how the rear brake cable is situated at the caliper.

Do u ever draw the line on these bikes? That one looks super clean and sexy, yet you took it apart :dunno:

I've had too many hobbies. The SS(wow!!), RC airplanes, eBay business, jet ski and now I'm thinking of buying an ATV next summer. God I wish I had all that money back I put into these hobbies lol :jester: The jet ski has beem the biggest PITA hobby so far. It hasn't ran right so I'm trying to go through the service manual and figure out what my problems are. I WILL NOT buy another Kawasaki jet ski. My 1100 STX Di has been nothing but a huge PITA.

Do u ever draw the line on these bikes? That one looks super clean and sexy, yet you took it apart :dunno:

No line is ever drawn on a collection! :jester:

I have kind of slowed down a bit. Now I only buy heavyweight cruisers ('78-'82) that are in great shape. I won't buy junk and try to fix them up by buying more bikes to donate parts. I also have really stopped buying mens bike. There is only one more mens bike I have a need to buy and I still haven't found one yet. If I do, I will buy it! Right now, I'm into these womens bikes that are five speeds. I myself have only seen maybe 3-4 womens frames with gears. They do not pop up that often. Most collectors turn away from womens bikes, but I don't. I feel they are more a rarity than the mens bikes especially when they have gears.

As for taking it apart, there are reasons. On this particular bike the crank didn't turn very well, the derailluer was full of grease, sand, etc. that it has picked up over the years along with the chain. The fork is bent a bit and it just needed an overall cleaning and greasing. I like to tinker with these bikes. There is alot the bike parts tell me. Like when I take the crank apart, I can tell the year of the crank to see if it matches with the year of the bike. The stem also has date codes on it. The fork is currently being repaired and when I get that back I will start the assembly. The bearings and chain have been soaking for a day and should be clear from all the dirt and grime of 20 plus years. When I put it back together, it's better than new with the exception of paint chips which I don't mind, it adds to the patina of it IMO. I like to make sure my bikes are ready to go when I need them so taking them apart, cleaning them, greasing up the bearings, etc. just assures me that when it's time to ride, they are ready. :cheers:

BTW: When I'm done it will look better than it does in that picture.

My hobbies are just all my toys...silverado ss, 67 chevelle ss, rm250, lt250r race quad, coyote racing go-kart...next fishing gear. I have more penn international reels than i know what to do with....Those who know international reels know they cost a pretty penny...i need to learn how to sell on ebay

Fishing is my hobby and I've tried to slow down on how much I spend on it but owning a boat is expensive. Anyone that does not heed the warning that boats are a money pit will learn VERY quickly. I'm on my 3rd boat in 4 years and I actually have this one up for sale so I can buy another one. I've blown one motor ($4300) and just recently lost a lower unit and mid off another motor so I'm in the market for a motor ($5500-7000). I figured if I'm already looking for a motor I might as well sell the boat and get another one to put the new (used) motor on...

I did the bike thing for a few years when I was younger and raced in the NBL. I had a 96 GT Mach Two. Got 4 piece bars, seat, post, 3 piece cranks, SPIN rims, sprockets, hubs, freewheel, etc.... Bikes can get real expensive, but they are easier to diagnose and fix than the SS :jester:

Just be glad you are not into any type of competitive cycling... have you seen the price of the components alone of the high end stuff... talk about insane.

Believe me, I know. I was in my local bike shop that my friend manages. He was showing me the new 10x2 (20 speed, 2 front gears x 10 rear on the cassette) carbon fiber front suspension Specialized brand mountain bike. The bike lists for almost $7,000. Thats more than a radix for our trucks. Only wannabes would pay full price on that bike. People who have earned the right to utilize a bike like that to its full potential are usually sponsored and get the bike for free anyways. Also, just the rear cassette gear set, hand machined, is a few hundred dollars. A rear cassette is a wearable part that typically needs to be changed every few hundred miles depending on use/abuse. The frame alone is over $2k, no wheels, no kick stand :jester: The rims? They cost more than most of our rims for our trucks separately. I'm hoping to join a shop sponsored race team as an entry level rider next season for some deep discounts to help with the costs of this habit.