Safe To Drop Front Driveshaft For Dyno Runs?

Can you drop the front driveshaft for dyno runs without damaging anything? What are the risks?

A few guys have gotten away with it but I wouldn't chance it, never know what it will do to the longevity of the unit. That is if you don't burn it up right away.

Now what I did was buy a used NVG-149 for 200.00 dollars with 60,000 miles on it, When the new motor and the TWINS get finished being installed I will but the spare unit in and have a dyno tune done and than switch it out for my newer unit. If it burns it up no big deal.

Mark

I have ~ 50 pulls over 4 years on her. BTW, I am over 500/500 to the wheels as well.

Do some reading and make the choice yourself. All I know is that I wouldn't have been able to take my truck into the 11's without going on the dyno. The info it tells you is worth its weight in gold. Don't look for absolute #'s rather the delta when tuning.

The choice is yours! :cheers:

Can someone please post who burnt up their T-case while on the dyno? :dunno:

I have ~ 50 pulls over 4 years on her. BTW, I am over 500/500 to the wheels as well.

Do some reading and make the choice yourself. All I know is that I wouldn't have been able to take my truck into the 11's without going on the dyno. The info it tells you is worth its weight in gold. Don't look for absolute #'s rather the delta when tuning.

The choice is yours! :cheers:

Can someone please post who burnt up their T-case while on the dyno? :dunno:

I completely agree here. and as stated above, my truck has had no problem after the having dynoed it. Just don't drive it on the street or have the truck in gear and completly stopped, thats when funny noises start to come out.

I am sure this debate will go on for a long time. No one really knows the long term affects of taking the front drive shaft off.

I have mentioned this before but thought I would talk about it again.

It should be about 3 weeks until I am ready to dyno my truck. My position has always been don't take you front drive shaft off. that being said I am going to put a spare NVG-149 in for the dyno run. our goal is over 1000 RWHP, If at that power level the 149 doesn't take a dump on me I would think it would be ok for someone in the 500 RWHP range to do it. I would never drive it on the street like that though.

for you guys that don't know I am dropping in a 438 ci twin Turbos.

I will keep you guys up to date on how my Transfercase holds up.

Mark