How To: Washing 101

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have used a leaf blower on the truck before. it gets all that water trapped up in the mirrors out.. i hate drying the truck perfect then walking around and have water drips right under the mirror..... :banghead:

for the rest of us, there's also the rear side windows. you finish the truck, and shut the door and bam! both sides look like sh*t.

Grit gaurd is a polastic circular pice that sits off the bottom of the bucket a couple of inches and acts like a screen that keeps debris at bottom of the bucket and not in the soap you wash your truck with.

Great write up all though i dont understand the "Dont wash between panels" statement. Does that mean wash the entire top half of the truck before you rinse?

Grit guards are also 'finned' at the bottom, this design keeps the turbulence caused when you insert your mit into the bucket from bringing the contaminants back to the top as well.

As for the DO NOT RINSE BETWEEN PANELS... you should soap the ENTIRE vehicle before you rinse... water mixed with soap is much less likely to spot than water by itself, so if a panel starts to dry with soapy water on it you're ok, but if you rinse, then the beads of water will cause water spots when they dry.

While we're on the subject---Dylan, what's a good buffer/polisher for a beginner? Been wanting to try one but I don't know anything about them and don't want to mess up my finish.

Porter Cable DA polisher is what you want... the kit from Adams is a good starter kit for the price, there are also excellent packages from other detail sites... just depends on what you want to spend and how serious you are about it. With some basic instruction anyone can learn to use a PC... then its a matter of learning what compounds coupled with what pads and what OPM speed you use on each type of panel and for how long.

I have a leaf blower and i actually thought about using it to dry the truck the other day but im a little worried that if imy roomates/neighbors see me drying my truck with it, they'll think im nuts.

Screw it, at least ill know im not the only one.

HAHA!! My neighbors already think I'm insane... I'm washing cars multiple days a week for hours on end and I use a foam gun while I wash. I'm sure most of them think I'm some mentally handicapped OCD weirdo or something.

As for the DO NOT RINSE BETWEEN PANELS... you should soap the ENTIRE vehicle before you rinse... water mixed with soap is much less likely to spot than water by itself, so if a panel starts to dry with soapy water on it you're ok, but if you rinse, then the beads of water will cause water spots when they dry.

I have always washed section by section, but rinse the entire vehicle from the top down after each section is washed. Keeps the whole vehicle wet until I'm ready to dry it. Has always worked pretty well for me. Thanks for all of the good information!

Great info Dylan, I will have to adapt some of your methods into my madness :jester:

Believe it or not, I like to wash and dry by section........virtually eliminates spots.....oh, and the air compressor trick works well too. :chevy:

:confused: Dylan, any tips for those of us who use orbital polishers????

Great info Dylan, I will have to adapt some of your methods into my madness :jester:

Believe it or not, I like to wash and dry by section........virtually eliminates spots.....oh, and the air compressor trick works well too. :chevy:

:confused: Dylan, any tips for those of us who use orbital polishers????

To each their own... if it works for you who am I to tell you to change it... as long as you take away some info from the post its all good.

As for tips with buffers... thats in the works, but there is so much to cover its gonna be a while.

Dylan,good write up on how to properly prep and wash our cars/trucks you are a wealth of auto detailing knowledge and i appreciate you taking the time to help educate me and my fellow ssers on how to care for our rides properly,hopefully theres more to come. :thumbs:

I have always washed section by section, but rinse the entire vehicle from the top down after each section is washed. Keeps the whole vehicle wet until I'm ready to dry it. Has always worked pretty well for me. Thanks for all of the good information!
Same here. I always start with the roof, then hood, grill, bumper, then down one side, and back up the other working top to bottom. I'm afraid to let the soap dry, because I've heard it's bad for the paint. I guess it's ok?

My wife says I'm OCD when it comes to washing a car, and it's hard for me to let my kids (3 and 4) to "help" me. They just go where ever. No order at all. :banghead::crackup:

Dylan,good write up on how to properly prep and wash our cars/trucks you are a wealth of auto detailing knowledge and i appreciate you taking the time to help educate me and my fellow ssers on how to care for our rides properly,hopefully theres more to come. :thumbs:

:withstupid:

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great writeup. This site has been a great source of info for me, due to posts like this one.

Everyone on this site has been great. I am even breaking down and attempting to Zaino the truck and my 90 Honda Prelude Si.

once again thanks

• 1 month later...

Great write up! I get some really good ideas from this site. Unfortunately, I don't get around to taking as good care of my truck as most people around here do, so I'm constantly battling bugs on the nose of the truck. The other day, I went out after a heavy rain and found them much easier to remove. I've tried quite a few bug removers (now I'm using some blue stuff a detailer gave me), but none of them work particularly well. I wouldn't call this a tip, but at least an idea at this point.

I'm one of those that washes and dries piece-meal instead of all at once. It's so hot down here, the soap dries after I've moved down a panel or two. I'm wondering now if that really matters? I wonder if that water sheeting trick, with the hose without the nozzle, will remove the dried soap and particles... :confused:

Edited by tulanejp (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

great write up!!! i will definitely be doing this for my next wash. One thing i started doing when i got my SSS was i started washing it at night. It's the best b/c you really don't have to deal with the water drying/spotting.

ES :flag:

great write up!!! i will definitely be doing this for my next wash. One thing i started doing when i got my SSS was i started washing it at night. It's the best b/c you really don't have to deal with the water drying/spotting.

ES :flag:

There is a good side to this and a bad....

the good side is the Miami sun is HARSH. I dont care what anybody says on temp's but this sun here is freakin huge. By 10 am you cannot touch the truck.

However at night, you cant see if you are doing that good of a job, with drying, applying waxes, dressings etc.

Best option is early in the morning.

Yes Drako, you are totally right about the Florida sun. The trick is to wash with the shade in your favor like around 5pm my house blocks the sun therefore the SS is in the shade. Also, by the time you are done washing/drying and its time to wax, either hope you have enough sunlight to finish or if you have a garge, pull er in and wax.