Tailgate Spoiler.

Jeff B

The Stock Tailgate Spoiler is attached with some adhesive. It’s not easy taking off the stock spoiler with out damaging it. I ripped my stock spoiler while taking it off. I am not sure how the intimidator's attaches, I would assume it uses adhesive as well.

The Stock Tailgate Spoiler is attached with some adhesive. It’s not easy taking off the stock spoiler with out damaging it. I ripped my stock spoiler while taking it off. I am not sure how the intimidator's attaches, I would assume it uses adhesive as well.

Was it double sided tape or was it actually glued on?

The intimidator spoiler is attached with screws I believe. It might also use tape but not sure. I've been looking for one for ever but no body will sell them and GM direct wants like over $600 shipped for it :banghead: MrP has one so he can probably tell you exactly how they are attached since he had to install his. Styling concepts has a similiar spoiler but you HAVE to also buy bed rails so the spoiler covers the entire rear of the truck. Cost should be around $400-$500 shipped.

The intimidator spoiler is attached with screws I believe. It might also use tape but not sure. I've been looking for one for ever but no body will sell them and GM direct wants like over $600 shipped for it :banghead: MrP has one so he can probably tell you exactly how they are attached since he had to install his. Styling concepts has a similiar spoiler but you HAVE to also buy bed rails so the spoiler covers the entire rear of the truck. Cost should be around $400-$500 shipped.

I was actually considering making one from fiberglass building on the stock one.

sss-wing.jpg

The factory SSS tailgate cap is simply a thick plastic piece adhered to the tailgate with double-sided tape on both sides of the tailgate. How I removed mind, I laid down the tailgate and precisely cut down the center of the tape with an exacto knife; once I had about a 6-inch start I was able to insert a putty knife to lift the edge 1/4" to make more room for the knife and it was downhill from there. Once the inside edge was free I was able to use my bare hands and rotate the whole cap downward and that separated the tape on the other side. I was very careful with the knife but was able to get the cap free without leaving a mark on either the tailgate or the cap.

The SSI wing is adhered on the inside edge of the tailgate with double-sided tape (just like the SS tailgate cap) but also "reinforced" with 5 or 6 screws and threaded inserts (on mine I drilled 1/2" holes, put in rubber/brass threaded inserts, and then bolted her home). On the tailgate exterior the SSI wing is retained with the same hardware as the generic plastic tailgate cap (screws and threaded inserts). The threaded inserts are pennies, the bolts are EXPENSIVE like a few bucks each. :ughdance:

The SSI wing corners are studded and require a hole be drilled into the corner of the bed and "nutted" from the backside (take the taillight out for access). The top leading edges of the corners also require "low-profile" double-sided tape. There is also a small supplemental bracket inside each corner and getting all the holes drilled in the correct place on the bed the first time is a biatch. It took me 2-3 nights after work to get it all mounted correctly and I had to redrill a couple holes. :banghead:

But it looks good, I love it and above about 105-mph it does work well in keeping the ass-end stable.

Mr. P. :)

Shhhoooooot :D We can do better than that!

ssi-wing-profile.gif

I made a rubbing, then drew over and scanned it; right-click the GIF, save-as, then print out on your printer in real size. My suggestion, add another 10-degrees or so of attack to the wing, so that the rear lip is like 1/2" to 3/4" taller than the SSI wing just to make it more functional and unique. And if you do make a mold I'm sure you could recover the costs buy selling a few repops to the guys here.

Mr. P. :)