The 4l80 Convertion

alrite my rebuilt 4l65 is already craped on me twice :banghead: i think its time for the 4l80 swap BUT!!!! has ne one done it on and AWD SSS on here or know of ne one that has done :confused: cus what im told is that if i do it i might not be able to keep the AWD but they might have to fabricate to keep it but not too sure so if there is ne one out there can yall help me ur knowlege is greatly appreciated thanks

kurt from wheel2wheel has done it and supposdly so has h8r

its not that hardest thing but you do need quite a few parts and some pcm re writing or copying and pasteing new table sfor the 80e. speed engineering has most of the parts.

alrite my rebuilt 4l65 is already craped on me twice :banghead: i think its time for the 4l80 swap BUT!!!! has ne one done it on and AWD SSS on here or know of ne one that has done :confused: cus what im told is that if i do it i might not be able to keep the AWD but they might have to fabricate to keep it but not too sure so if there is ne one out there can yall help me ur knowlege is greatly appreciated thanks

from what i have read on this subject to keep the awd they have to do a custom output shaft for the 4l80e to mate it to the transfer case

from what i have read on this subject to keep the awd they have to do a custom output shaft for the 4l80e to mate it to the transfer case

yea thats what i was told but they werent too sure but if i do get it should i keep my AWD or loose it and just get some drag radials

kurt from wheel2wheel has done it and supposdly so has h8r

its not that hardest thing but you do need quite a few parts and some pcm re writing or copying and pasteing new table sfor the 80e. speed engineering has most of the parts.

hey chase how do u keep ur 65e to hold up with the hard pulls u do cus i cant keep my truck for more than 3 days before i put it back in the shop is ur truck a daily driver or what

yea thats what i was told but they werent too sure but if i do get it should i keep my AWD or loose it and just get some drag radials

dude keep the AWD and get four drag radials think about the launch with four sticky tires versus only two

dude keep the AWD and get four drag radials think about the launch with four sticky tires versus only two

i hear that lol but hopfully it will be able to hold that power im putin to the ground and speakin of that how much should th 80e hold

my truck is driven pretty often . about 100 miles a week. i honestly dont know how my trans is holding but it is. i just recently rebuilt it and it looked great after many hard pulls.

i have four drag radials for it when i hit the track.

i havent done any hard launches with the new motor yet though. so i dont know what is to come , i honestly think it will hold. but the nitrous is the scary part. when i hit it with a 150 shot on top of boost its going to be one hell of a ride.

remmeber im running a 370 and your running a 408 . your low end torque is greater than mine which could be why your braking them . this is the reason i choose a 370 over a 408 so i coul dkeep the 65 and run some big power. then ill just use nitrous up top to make up for the lost power. not to mention i can spin this short stroke to 7k all day. but sometime i do wish i would have gond with more cubes. maybe one day ill do an lsx but ive got to give this one a run for its money.

my truck is driven pretty often . about 100 miles a week. i honestly dont know how my trans is holding but it is. i just recently rebuilt it and it looked great after many hard pulls.

i have four drag radials for it when i hit the track.

i havent done any hard launches with the new motor yet though. so i dont know what is to come , i honestly think it will hold. but the nitrous is the scary part. when i hit it with a 150 shot on top of boost its going to be one hell of a ride.

remmeber im running a 370 and your running a 408 . your low end torque is greater than mine which could be why your braking them . this is the reason i choose a 370 over a 408 so i coul dkeep the 65 and run some big power. then ill just use nitrous up top to make up for the lost power. not to mention i can spin this short stroke to 7k all day. but sometime i do wish i would have gond with more cubes. maybe one day ill do an lsx but ive got to give this one a run for its money.

wow u make a really good point bout the power differance and mine is driven as much as possible like everyday and thats always can lead to tranny failure but soon when i get it to work just rite im goin to buy me a VMAX or a DURAMAX so that can be my daily and this one can stay put in the garage till come race day and hope that baby on the trailer or just drive it to the races and im finally able to spin the tires and mite i say its fun as hell but no smoke yet :banghead:

J. I know that this is your 3rd tranny failure but you haven't told me yet exactly *what* failed. Trust me dude I know what you mean, I have fully hardened my 4L60 now so I know the issues. If you want my insight I'd be happy to share but I gotta know what exactly broke.

I have spent $5K on my 4L60 now :tear: so just know that you may as well save yourself and go STRAIGHT to the top, call Carl Rossler and get one of his 4L60's with a transbrake. Also, he will know all the issues with a custom output shaft for a 4L80. It is the harder road but I would keep the AWD if possible; just tell him straight-up that you are campaigning a max-effort AWD race truck and see what he says. Even if he charges you $5K at least you will have a trans from one of the absolute authorities on the subject for the same $$$ as rebuilding yours piece-by-piece (like I did). Another person you can call is Chris Kokonis (CK Performance) the reason I mention his name is that he will lathe an output shaft from 4340 billet, in other words he has the experience and equipment to do this. Problem of course is time, for a custom one-off piece like that it would take a while to have it developed and made...

I love what you are doing with your truck and hope you solve the transmission issue. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

J. I know that this is your 3rd tranny failure but you haven't told me yet exactly *what* failed. Trust me dude I know what you mean, I have fully hardened my 4L60 now so I know the issues. If you want my insight I'd be happy to share but I gotta know what exactly broke.

I have spent $5K on my 4L60 now :tear: so just know that you may as well save yourself and go STRAIGHT to the top, call Carl Rossler and get one of his 4L60's with a transbrake. Also, he will know all the issues with a custom output shaft for a 4L80. It is the harder road but I would keep the AWD if possible; just tell him straight-up that you are campaigning a max-effort AWD race truck and see what he says. Even if he charges you $5K at least you will have a trans from one of the absolute authorities on the subject for the same $$$ as rebuilding yours piece-by-piece (like I did). Another person you can call is Chris Kokonis (CK Performance) the reason I mention his name is that he will lathe an output shaft from 4340 billet, in other words he has the experience and equipment to do this. Problem of course is time, for a custom one-off piece like that it would take a while to have it developed and made...

I love what you are doing with your truck and hope you solve the transmission issue. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

thanks P ill see what i can do cus u know it sucks to have all this power and not able to use it propurly but soon enough i will

Its pricelss pulling a 1.61 60ft in a 5500# truck :driving: I fully expect to dip into the 1.5's 60ft. this fall/winter. Through a 65E as well. KEEP THE AWD. Its what makes the SSS unique IMHO.

4 DR's:

img_0059.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Its pricelss pulling a 1.61 60ft in a 5500# truck :driving: I fully expect to dip into the 1.5's 60ft. this fall/winter. Through a 65E as well. KEEP THE AWD. Its what makes the SSS unique IMHO.

4 DR's:

img_0059.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

U know what my fellow AWD SSS screw 2WD lol jk im stayin with AWD i love my hard launch and i just love 4 D/R and thas what im goin to have to do but for now fix the tranny and be very conservitive and baby it till i do the 4l80 swap :driving:

What the hell do you guys do to your trans? I have a radix and launch hard a couple times a week, race someone almost every night, have 10k miles ont he supercharger, hauled boats, hauled a uhaul over the weekend, etc. I dont even have any servos, shift kit installed either. Just a bigger cooler and a 2600 stall converter. I guess I am waiting to see what happens, but I'm not exactly easy on it either.

My personal stand point on it is that if I break this stock trans, i'll just replace it with another stock trans...and here is why...I got 50k miles out of it so far and I have abused it. I dont plan to keep the truck beyond a 100k miles to be honest. So why spend $3-4k on a rebuilt when I can get a stocker from the local yard with 10k miles on it for $750...get a new converter, maybe even install a shift kit and servos in it...and run it...hope to get another 30-40k miles of it...break it again and replace it again...I mean...seriously...your $3k transmissions are breaking anyways, so why not just go cheap if its going to break anyways? I know I will catch alot of flak for this, but can you honestly justify $3-4k for a rebuild when they are not holding together beyond 5-10-15k miles themselves? I understand there are deficincies in the trans, but apparently...no one is solving them with these expensive solutions. I'll stick with stockers...easier to come by and about 1/3 of the price.