Damn G.m.

palletyard

IN 2005 WHEN YOU GOT A NEW VECHILE AT THE DEALERSHIP REAR DISC BRAKES WASN'T STANDERD ANYMORE. YOU HAD TO PAY EXTRA!!!! BECAUSE 1999-2004 TRUCKS AND SUV'S AND I THINK CARS AS WELL G.M. DIDNT HAVE ANY MONEY COMING FROM BRAKE SERVICE. YOU ALSO DIDNT HEAR THIS FROM ME...

Thats not the reason. Rear disc brakes last half as long as drums. Matter of fact, all of us have had to replace the rear disc brakes well before the fronts. Brake service revenue has nothing to do with it. It was cost. The cost of a drum assembly is much less than a caliper and rotor assembly. GM did want more money in their pocket, but the reality was that they were trying to cut costs on their product to keep the pricing competitive. It was a smart move since most trucks offered do not have disc brakes standard from both dodge and ford. Obviously some trim levels and packages come with standard disc brakes still. Also, msot people have learned NOT to take your vehicle to a GM stealership for brake service, you will almost twice as much as you would at an independent or chain like Midas, etc. (and get the same crap)

One thing to consider...drum brakes stop better than disc brakes on a ONE time panic stop. The reason disc brakes are so popular is not because of the one time stopping ability, but because of the repeated panic stopping ability...aka...brake fade. As brakes get hot, they lose their friction properties, reducing their stopping power. Drums contain heat because the braking surface is on the inside of the drum...invision an oven with the door closed...it would take a LONG time to cool down with the door closed from 500degrees. Now invision a hibachi grill...flat metal surface...it will cool down much faster with open air around it.

Summary:

Disc brakes = performance, constant stopping, race tracks.

Drum Brakes = more stopping power, longer life, not performance oriented.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF, THERE'S NO NEED TO YELL. GM went back to drum brakes on '05+ trucks not to make more money, but for another reason. They had a lot of problems with the parking brakes on the previous years and there were subsequent recalls. Drum brakes last longer than disk anyway. :ughdance:

Thats not the reason. Rear disc brakes last half as long as drums. Matter of fact, all of us have had to replace the rear disc brakes well before the fronts. Brake service revenue has nothing to do with it. It was cost. The cost of a drum assembly is much less than a caliper and rotor assembly. GM did want more money in their pocket, but the reality was that they were trying to cut costs on their product to keep the pricing competitive. It was a smart move since most trucks offered do not have disc brakes standard from both dodge and ford. Obviously some trim levels and packages come with standard disc brakes still. Also, msot people have learned NOT to take your vehicle to a GM stealership for brake service, you will almost twice as much as you would at an independent or chain like Midas, etc. (and get the same crap)

One thing to consider...drum brakes stop better than disc brakes on a ONE time panic stop. The reason disc brakes are so popular is not because of the one time stopping ability, but because of the repeated panic stopping ability...aka...brake fade. As brakes get hot, they lose their friction properties, reducing their stopping power. Drums contain heat because the braking surface is on the inside of the drum...invision an oven with the door closed...it would take a LONG time to cool down with the door closed from 500degrees. Now invision a hibachi grill...flat metal surface...it will cool down much faster with open air around it.

Summary:

:withstupid:

87,598 on the beast.. put the 22,s on at 38,000 i put new pads all the way around 70,000.. not that they were bad they still had alot of life on them. i just had some extra cash and had all 4 rotors turned. braking like a champ. but the rotors are being upgraded to bigger slotted/vented :driving:

Summary:

:withstupid: Except for the sme stuff at chain stores. There is a difference in pad material between factory and your Midas's and Just Brakes. I've sold pads to these kinds of places when I did aftermarket parts, and they want the cheapest crap they can get their hands on.

TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF, THERE'S NO NEED TO YELL. GM went back to drum brakes on '05+ trucks not to make more money, but for another reason. They had a lot of problems with the parking brakes on the previous years and there were subsequent recalls. Drum brakes last longer than disk anyway. :ughdance:

There is a difference in pad material between factory and your Midas's and Just Brakes. I've sold pads to these kinds of places when I did aftermarket parts, and they want the cheapest crap they can get their hands on.

Dont be fooled...GM's pads are garbage too. And dont think for one second that the rotors are superior either. All of them use inferior chinese iron ore and all come from similar casting processes. My point wasnt that Midas was great, but that GM was crap for twice as much. You get a set of ceramic pads from midas and their rotors or get a set from the dealership and they will perform within factory specs. Same stopping distances, similar fading characteristics etc. Now, if you go with the cheap metallic crap, yeah...garbage compared to factory/dealership.

The only real brake upgrades are to actually step up to wilwood or baer or other aftermarket brake kits.

Dont be fooled...GM's pads are garbage too. And dont think for one second that the rotors are superior either. All of them use inferior chinese iron ore and all come from similar casting processes. My point wasnt that Midas was great, but that GM was crap for twice as much. You get a set of ceramic pads from midas and their rotors or get a set from the dealership and they will perform within factory specs. Same stopping distances, similar fading characteristics etc. Now, if you go with the cheap metallic crap, yeah...garbage compared to factory/dealership.

The only real brake upgrades are to actually step up to wilwood or baer or other aftermarket brake kits.

87,598 on the beast.. put the 22,s on at 38,000 i put new pads all the way around 70,000.. not that they were bad they still had alot of life on them. i just had some extra cash and had all 4 rotors turned. braking like a champ. but the rotors are being upgraded to bigger slotted/vented :driving:

I just checked the brakes on one of the company trucks. 04' 2500 Duramax 18X,XXX. They were in great shape when i took the wheel off, and it surprised the hell out of me when my boss said that they haven't been touched since it rolled from the assembly line!

i drive a chevy express 3500 wan with a 6.0L for work, the older vans had read drum brakes and would need front brabe service every 25k and the new van with rear disc brakes just got its first front brake job @ 75k, and thats not easy driving either!!!! of course drum brakes last longer, thats because the dont work. and of course this is from a guy with rear drums on his truck :uhoh: