Speeding Ticket Outcome

NashSS

Well last night I got my very first speeding ticket at the age of 21. I was leaving a party and I only had 2 beers within 4 hours because I just wasn't feeling up for beer last night thankfully. Anyway I was leaving and I had 3 friends in my truck leaving so I showed off a little bit and I guess I hit 68 in a 45. The thing of it is there was a 55 speed limit sign that was in plain sight when I turned out. I asked the cop about it and he said that the speed limit didn't start until after the speed limit sign into the curve which I've been told the speed limit turns when its visible or 20 feet before or 100 feet before. I'm asking for help on what the laws are and what I can do. This is my first offense otherwise window tint tickets. The ticket is 110 which I have no problem paying because I did it but I dont want it on my record because I want to go drive a semi truck and that is the last thing I need on my record. Help me out please.

Ask to have it deferred. Usually they will put you on a years time where you cannot get another ticket. Sometimes they make you take a driver class, that lasts a couple of hours.

Is the ticket the problem or the amount over the speed limit?

I have always been told that the limit doesn't rise until you pass the sign, and the opposite too ... when you pass a lower limit sign ... you must be going the slower limit by then

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

agree.jpg Yeah the speed limit starts at the sign, according to NYS traffic law.........you have to be at the speed posted by the time you reach the sign.

Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? If it starts at the sign how can you be at posted speed by the time you reach the sign w/o speeding? :confused:

I thought in drivers ed wich was 15 years ago..lol they told us that the speed limit is legit when you see the sign. :dunno:

Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? If it starts at the sign how can you be at posted speed by the time you reach the sign w/o speeding? :confused:

I thought in drivers ed wich was 15 years ago..lol they told us that the speed limit is legit when you see the sign. :dunno:

Sorry man, my thoughts got all mixed up, disreguard my second statement there :banghead:

Don't ever pay a speeding ticket! Contest it and make the cop show up to court. If he doesn't show, ticket goes bye-bye. His report is inadmissible hearsay unless he shows up to testify. If he does, then see what the DA is willing to work out. First offense can always work a deal. Traffic court lawyers are definitely worth the money if you're truly concerned about your record. Call your state bar association for a referral. In most states, speed limit zone starts at the sign.

Im with nuzman on this one. I have gotten speeding tickets in my younger years and fought every one of them. Only one was put on my record just for me showing up to court and the HP or Police officer doesn't. They have days off and work different shifts. So go to Court and see if they show, its worth the time.

Well Im definatly going to court to fight it because I'm sure I was past the sign when he clocked me at 68 in a 55 which would only be 13 over then and I can live with that. My only worr is the fact that it was for 23 over. I have no problems paying the fine I'm just worried about my record because I'm completly ticket free other than window tint and thats the way I like it but with a truck like this I knew it would happen eventually. Guess its time to buy a good radar and laser detector. I'm not sure what he clocked me with either. Thanks for the advise guys my uncle works down at the court house so im sure he can get me a traffic lawyer to help me out. everyone keeps telling me since its my first offense that i will be just fine they will probably just give me court supervision for about a year or so for no tickets. Well see my court date isnt till the 31st so i have plenty of time to figure this out.