Need Some Help/advice With Customizing

zanis520

alright my buddy just bought a 1996 chevy silverado, reg cab, 2wd, short bed, on 20s wit a 4/6 drop. hes contemplatin rippin the engine and trans out and puttin in a high performance trans and an old school carburated engine. hes thinkin about either a 383, 396, or a 408 wit hp between 400-500. he would be keepin this as a daily driver in so cal. how easy/hard is this procedure? what kind of things does he have to look out for? how much you think it will cost? he doesnt want to cheap skate it, he wants to do things right the first time and use high quality products, but at the same time he has a limited budget and isnt made of money. thanks for the help guys

the one thing you will be needing is a new harness for the engine bay. go to painless wiring and get one from them. they sell idiot proof harnesses for most cars and trucks. i don't know much about the swap and wether the steering will get in the way. someone should chime in on that.

If your friend is in California, it will not be "smog legal". On pollution controlled vehicles, engine swaps must be of the exact same type/size engine or an engine from a newer "smog legal" vehicle.

Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance

Engine Changes

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

If your friend is in California, it will not be "smog legal". On pollution controlled vehicles, engine swaps must be of the exact same type/size engine or an engine from a newer "smog legal" vehicle.

:withstupid: If he wants to do it right, tell him to spring for a 572 big block. No that is some power.

The usual applies to most engine swaps. Getting them in is the hard part usually... but not always!

Sump location, mounts and rad bungs are pretty straightforward, the steering issue shouldn't be too tough, even with a 572. Headers can be made or production headers can be cut and modified, not a big deal.

Sounds like a cool project!

I'm going to side with a couple other guys above who have already responded, U NEED TO CHECK UR LOCAL LAWS 1st. It could/should be an easy swap, however emissions is a BIG deal over there in Cali....

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance

:withstupid:

the only way around it is to either registrars it out of state, and take the chance of being caught. fines for that are, you will have to pay back fees for no less 30 days, or back fees to the first time reg. in CA

OR to date of manufacture...1996.. :cry:

the other thing he can do, is build the motor/trans to what he wants and keep old motor/trans and swap it out every time smog is needed..and take the chance he doesn't get caught with a gross polluter by the SMOG COPS... :banghead:

good luck to him..

:seeya:

imo going carb is a step back the driveability of a fuel injected vehicle is so much better , not to mention mpg.

imo the easiest thing to do would be dropping in a 408 and beefing the trans. imo anything else wouldnt be worth the time or money. what are his goals?

imo going carb is a step back the driveability of a fuel injected vehicle is so much better , not to mention mpg.

imo the easiest thing to do would be dropping in a 408 and beefing the trans. imo anything else wouldnt be worth the time or money. what are his goals?

i dont think he really has any goals haha. he just thinks it would be cool and kinda stand out. newer truck with an older powertrain. i think its kinda cool. he specifically wants a carb though, doesnt want efi or tbi, and doesnt really care about gas mileage.

i told him about the the laws and hes gonna check into it more in detail. i was thinkin though, couldnt he register the vehicle like as a custom, or something. and say that he only drives it like twice a week. is there something like that?

also does anyone know about clearance issues etc. i know there was a 454 ss a while ago, but i dont know the difference in drivetrain and all that other good stuff from a regular silverado with the 5.7?

last thing would it be ok for him to take the engine in there now and bore and stroke it out to a 383 and just change ALL of the internals to make more power or would that be against the law too?

thanks for all your input guys. my buddy really appreciates it.