Overheat

hugobossvp

So my buddy drives a 99 Acura CL and hes been dealing with an overheat issue. Hes saying that the other day it overheated, he pulled over and the coolant was empty, but no leaks. He filled it, and a couple of days later he was back to empty. Any ideas on what could cause this? A bad thermo causing the engine to run hot and burn up the coolant? I know its not an SS related topic, but i know we have some of the most mechanically inclined people out there on this forum so your .02 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hugo

So my buddy drives a 99 Acura CL and hes been dealing with an overheat issue. Hes saying that the other day it overheated, he pulled over and the coolant was empty, but no leaks. He filled it, and a couple of days later he was back to empty. Any ideas on what could cause this? A bad thermo causing the engine to run hot and burn up the coolant? I know its not an SS related topic, but i know we have some of the most mechanically inclined people out there on this forum so your .02 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hugo

off the top of my head, i would start by checking for a blown head gasket, or cracked head/block

:seeya:

off the top of my head, i would start by checking for a blown head gasket, or cracked head/block

:seeya:

:withstupid: Head gasket would be my guess, tell him to look for white smoke in his exhaust.....also the exhaust will have the sweet stench of anti-freeze. He should check his oil and look for green on his dipstick too. :chevy:

:withstupid: Head gasket would be my guess, tell him to look for white smoke in his exhaust.....also the exhaust will have the sweet stench of anti-freeze. He should check his oil and look for green on his dipstick too. :chevy:

thats what i was going to say....check the oil for having antifreeze in it if there is.....you have a blown head gasket prolly...correct me if im wrong but doesnt coolant have to go somewhere? or will it like he said "burn up" ?

Thanks guys, if he makes it home tonight without blowing his motor ill try and do a little more trouble shooting with him.. but if hes got a green dip stick then he'll have to get that straightened out on his own.

Edited by SSinRI (see edit history)

I never leaks out on the ground anywhere after filling it back up and getting it up to operating temp?

Thats what hes saying. I would think it would be pretty hard to miss a leak but thats the other thing i wanted to look at myself. I was told that if the head gasket is junk that the coolant would leak into the exhaust and get burned up that way. Any truth to that?

The funny thing is that he just paid the car off so it would suck for him to be looking at a nice little motor job if he drove it around without coolant.

Thats what hes saying. I would think it would be pretty hard to miss a leak but thats the other thing i wanted to look at myself. I was told that if the head gasket is junk that the coolant would leak into the exhaust and get burned up that way. Any truth to that?

That could happen, but there is a better chance that coolant is being burned in the combustion chamber. If it was leaking on the exhaust manifold, you would (1) smell it, and (2) you would see steam at some point in time. With a deteriorating head gasket, it will get increasingly harder to start the car......eventually the engine will hydrolock from the coolant leaking into the combustion chamber, I have seen this before. :chevy: