Firepower!

well guys as many know of the situation with my father, it has made my whole family more aware of personal protection. i own a shotgun, but its more for trap/skeet and hunting(even though i never go), my father passed it down to me. its a mossberg 500a?? 12. ga. 100_3497.jpg

but i'am looking more into a home defense. i like the company mossberg and will probably go something with them again. i am looking into a 500 mariner http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/or...ProductID=20994. im still undecided if i want 6 or 9 shot. i really like the 6 shot because of its size and price. but i like the idea of the 3 additional shots in the 9 but the size maybe something im not looking in. iam going to add alot of tatic stuff to it like a light heat sheild extra shot holder on stock simple stuff like that. i will never put a pistol grip on it though. so what i really want this post to be about is what do you guys use for homedefense. post pics also. i know this is a truck forum but there has got to be some gun owners on here. also i wont be able to get a handgun unless i can get a "permit to purchase" by the police chief. if they still do those. but still post them up, ive always been into guns but know im more into them for protection of life. my mom even knows how to use my gun now. i never thoght she would touch it but she wanted to learn. so lets see them...~~~Kyle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i use a Remington 870 Express Super Mag with 3 1/2" shells. Its a little bulky for home defense (the barrel is too long), but should stop just about anything. I also have a Glock Model 22 .40 S&W that rides around with me, and is a proven bear repellent/rabbid dog killer. I shoot some gnarly hollow points out of it, that would stop just about anybody. Its really just preference. Since you are not old enough to purchase a handgun, a scatter gun would be great. If I were to buy one with the sole purpose of home defense I would get a Benelli Supernova Tactical which will shoot up to 3 1/2" shells.

Remember the first rule in firearms self defense is to shoot to stop... not shoot to kill. The benelli would do quite a number on someone's legs or arms. I think there are quite a few aftermarket tactical accessories for your Mossberg, I would start with some fiber optic sights and some good shells. Check the left side of the barrel or action and see what the largest shell you can use is. Bigger is better. You could remove the plug from the slide on your Mossberg and that would allow more shell capacity. If you need more info on how to do this let me know.

I hope this helps...

well guys as many know of the situation with my father, it has made my whole family more aware of personal protection. i own a shotgun, but its more for trap/skeet and hunting(even though i never go), my father passed it down to me. its a mossberg 500a?? 12. ga. 100_3497.jpg

but i'am looking more into a home defense. i like the company mossberg and will probably go something with them again. i am looking into a 500 mariner http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/or...ProductID=20994. im still undecided if i want 6 or 9 shot. i really like the 6 shot because of its size and price. but i like the idea of the 3 additional shots in the 9 but the size maybe something im not looking in. iam going to add alot of tatic stuff to it like a light heat sheild extra shot holder on stock simple stuff like that. i will never put a pistol grip on it though. so what i really want this post to be about is what do you guys use for homedefense. post pics also. i know this is a truck forum but there has got to be some gun owners on here. also i wont be able to get a handgun unless i can get a "permit to purchase" by the police chief. if they still do those. but still post them up, ive always been into guns but know im more into them for protection of life. my mom even knows how to use my gun now. i never thoght she would touch it but she wanted to learn. so lets see them...~~~Kyle

I have a pistol grip and a really short barrel for that! I have the same thing! :thumbs:

I have a Mossberg 590A1. It is like a regular 20" 590 (9 shots), but has a steel trigger group, heavier barrel, and a bayonet lug. It is the same shotgun the military uses. It has a parkerized finish, composite stock, and ghost ring sights. It is my favorite gun.

I would highly recommend one for defense at home, or out camping. They might be a bit hard to find. Look for the "A1" on the end.

Mike

Remember the first rule in firearms self defense is to shoot to stop... not shoot to kill. The benelli would do quite a number on someone's legs or arms. I think there are quite a few aftermarket tactical accessories for your Mossberg, I would start with some fiber optic sights and some good shells. Check the left side of the barrel or action and see what the largest shell you can use is. Bigger is better. You could remove the plug from the slide on your Mossberg and that would allow more shell capacity. If you need more info on how to do this let me know.

I hope this helps...

well i like my mossberg the way it is. since it was my dads i would like to keep it the way it is, the size shells i can use is 2 3/4"-3" i didnt even know they made 3.5"! also i use that gun when i go trap shooting. i know its not a O/U but i do impress some of the guys when im taking out 23 out of 25 clay birds using a old hunting gun while they spend 1000's on O/U guns lol. i will most likely get a o/u but thats down the road.. i want my homedefense gun first. also side question. if i really wanted to could i use that mariner on the shooting range?? would anything stop me from hitting targets, i.e barrell legnth??

also what do you guys use for shells??? (if you have a shotgun)

I have been making some custom parts for my remington 870 which is 7 in the mag and 1 in the barrel I love it. It has a 20" barrel but I have thought about putting a longer mag extension on it which would make the mag hole 9 rounds plus one in the barrel and put a 23" barrel on it but i'm not sure yet here is a pic. I plan on getting the aluminum parts hard anodized black and getting a verticle grip.

870shotgun025.jpg?t=1191290440

870shotgun011.jpg?t=1191290477

Here is the adapter and AR-15 stock I plan on getting soon.

SST-870-02.jpg

Something like this but with a legal barrel

DSCF0005.jpg

i have a old mossberg 500 with stock and pistol grip, picked it up about 20 yrs. ago for about $125.00 new :thumbs:

IMO- the best thing for home defence is a 12 ga. shot gun 00 buck or a #4 shot. the reason i feel this way is, one.. you don't have to be a great shot as in a hand gun to hit something you just point in the direction of the sound and squeeze off a shot. :M16: the spread of the shot will clear a hallway or small room. two.. i don't care how big a bad a$$ you think you are breaking into someones house, at 2am you hear a 12 ga. pump having a shell jacked into a chamber will PUT THE FEAR OF GOD IN ANYONE.. :eek:

third.. hand guns/rifles are great, i have a boat load here, but the most important thing is if you miss with your big bore guns, WHERE is that round going? thou 2 walls out your house and KILL a person down the block :sick: at least a shot gun will stay in the confines of your house..three.. if you pull it on someone YOU BETTER BE READY TO USE IT !!! and SHOOT TO KILL because he/they may be packing a gun and a better shot than you and then YOU will be tits up and not them :banghead:

like the old saying, i would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

good luck

:seeya:

i have an 870 remington with folding stock and a few goodies.

always keep it ready with 00 buck and some slugs.

DSC01007-1.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

also have a .40 h k usp sub compact. which is also a kick ass gun. "its better to have a gun and not need it then not have a gun and need it"

uspc_large_03.jpg

also working on putting one of these together while following ca laws , which isnt as tough as i thought.

pic_841_large.jpg

but the project isnt going very fast.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

Mossberg made a 12ga that has a pistol grip and shortest legal barrel called the Defender (perfect for home defense. I have a couple of pistols 45acp, .40, ect... but I would really like to start building something assault rifle-ish I just don't know where to start. :dunno:

ps. I have never seen that AR conv. for the 870. Just might have to do it to my 870 that I never use. :cheers:

the only thing about pistol grip that im not crazy about is the recoil...i have shot my gun many times and have felt the recoil with the stock on it i dont know if i would be able to control it just by holding it with my hand... i have never shot one like that before so i could be completely wrong its just the way i see it. so if anyone has more info please let me know. also that mariner comes with the pistol grip and the stock so i could change it out if need be....