Rollpan Time

I'm thinking about doing a roll pan, I think it'll really help set off the rear of my truck. I just want to get some more info though.

There are lots of posts on SS roll pans, like BSER and puffer. But someone said they only work on SS's because of the cladding, so I guess those are out of the picture. Not much info on non ss rollpans though.

Other companies I know of are Sir Michaels and Street Scene. Whats the best? I don't really want to cut or modify anything, jus paint and bolt right on. And are there any ones where I don't have to move my spare?

Also I need to put a hidden hitch on correct? So I would be selling my stock bumper and hitch, that will probably pay for the roll pan itself with the money I get from those :D

Okay so I have that figured out now, def steel.

Its probably really expensive to mold it cuz then you have to paint that whole part of the truck!

Do you have to relocate the spare with most all of these? And do they all generally fit the hidden hitch?

I pulled all that crap out and installed a hidden tow bar with a flip down plate and I wanted a full size spare tire so I mount it in the bed(I don't haul any thing and tow very little)

here is a back shot in the bed

TruckR_TI.jpg

ps: your ass end going to go up about 3/4" when you get that oem bumper/tire off

Edited by shakesvho (see edit history)

i know on mine it comes cut out for a hidden hitch. and im preety sure you need to relocate the spare tire. theres a kit for cheap money out there. and im probably the only one that doesnt like it molded. 1st. like you said theres more body work needed to install. 2nd. i like the way the tailgate lines flow with the pan, when its molded it makes the tailgate look out of place. but its all up to you

id go with the sir michaels. and yes for every roll pan you HAVE to relocate the spare. you dont have to get a new hidden hitch, you only need it if u plan on towing things, otherwise its useless.

as for the molding. i think it looks 1000x better, but it is WAY more expensive. plus you have to think about gettin rear ended. the factory bumper actually does a really good job on protecting the truck, especially if u have the trailer hitch stickin out. with a roll pan, molded or not your gonna get more damage than with the factory one, PLUS ur tailgate is gonna get hit at well cause its all flush. i personally would never get a rollpan molded unless it was a weekend/show truck. when u get rear ended with a molded rollpan it bends the frame, and its almost impossible to get it to look and ride like it did before the accident. ive heard a lot of horror stories about molded rollpans in accidents. but to each his own right?

I think I'd have to keep the spare and the hitch. Because just when I had my tailgate off at the track I could hardly get traction with my slicks! So imagine how it would be with no bumper, hitch or spare!!! Plus the weight back there smooths out the ride when everyday driving too.

So I'm going to do either the sir michaels or the EFX Stylin Concepts one. Is one of them easier to install or better quality?

And I'm also going to have to get a hidden hitch and spare tire relocator. I guess I'll just get them from which ever company I buy the pan from.