Throttle Body Coolant Bypass?

TheGeorgiaKid

I have heard talk about doing a Throttle Body Coolant Bypass. How are you guys doing this? Is there a kit or do you do it by caping off the fitting coming from the drivers side & the one on the radiator or do you have to run a hose from those to fittings? What kind of hose or caps do you use? Thanks.

2 hose clamps, a piece of stainless steel tube and 2 vaccum caps. Disconnect the hoses from both sides of the throttle body, slide the tube inside of the hose joing the 2 hoses, tighten down with the clamps. Cap off the 2 "nubs" on the throttle body. PRESTO!

what does this buy you?

Theoretically it allows the TB to remain colder (as it doesn't have hot coolant pumping through it), and therefore the air passing through the TB will be colder... I haven't done this mod because GM put the coolant flow through the TB to stop the throttle blade from "Icing Over" (aka, freezing shut), during cold weather (which my truck will be see a lot of over the winter). I don't know if there have been any actual recorded improvements from this mod though.

I've seen actual dyno numbers on this mod and there is on average a 5hp gain, no thats not at the tires. I personally have done this because number 1, I KNOW my throttle body was very hot to the touch, after the mod it is cool and number 2 I live in the middle of the Mojave desert so the chances of my throttle body iceing over are extremely rare. Did I notice any performance gain, no not really but I do like the fact that my TB is taking in cooler air

• 3 weeks later...