Serious Problems With Vortech S/c's 03 Ss

One of our customers has a 2003 SS with a Vortech S/c on it running an 8# pulley, and the truck has been running fine for months, but all of a sudden it's acting up, throwing Dtc's all over the place and sputtering as well. The codes it's throwing are:

P0101 - Mass Air Fault

P0172 - Rich Condition Bank 1

P0175 - Rich Condition Back 2

P0352 - IC circuit is out of range

P0455 - Evap leak detected (large)

I looked up the freeze frame data, including the cylinder misfire data that was being logged, and it all over the place, random misfires on EVERY cylinder not just 1 specific. He's saying it happened out of no where but when I talked to him he told me that his air filter came with a spray oil to put on the filter, which is normal as it aids in the trapping of dirt HOWEVER he then proceeds to tell me that he was in a rush and he sprayed it until it was dripping, shook it off and then put in it. Now I know for a fact that is not right at all, that's the given, but what I was thinking is maybe the ammount of oil that was DEFINATELY sucked into the motor via the air intake system is causing a serious problem? Were these trucks given a Hot Wire Mass Air meter or no? I'm trying to get some more ideas going before I start going through it tomorrow morning. He has so far replaced the plugs/wires/and #5 coil as it was said to be bad as well, so those are out. Any help or ideas would be great as he is beyond frustrated and I'm trying to get a game plan going before the end of the night so I can get this kid his truck back running how it should be. Thanks everyone!

- Nick

:withstupid: Just as standard practice I would clean the MAF however if you are logging data you should see the erroneous frequency from the dirty MAF. Since the truck apparently ran great then all of a sudden acted like poo I would suspect a faulty sensor (or multiple) so check everything necessary for the PCM to do it's job - MAF, MAP, IAT, O2s, etc.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: Just as standard practice I would clean the MAF however if you are logging data you should see the erroneous frequency from the dirty MAF. Since the truck apparently ran great then all of a sudden acted like poo I would suspect a faulty sensor (or multiple) so check everything necessary for the PCM to do it's job - MAF, MAP, IAT, O2s, etc.

Mr. P.

Im willing to bet you have a dirty MAF

Im willing to bet you have a dirty MAF

Another thing he just told me, the truck was at the dealership to have a new gauge cluster put in. I'm not familiar with these trucks but I do know alot of manufacturers require the pcm to be reflashed due to the mileage and etc. Now if the pcm was reflashed that would cause ALL of these codes and symptoms, so I'm waiting for the Tuner to be dropped off in a few hours so I can check the current tune in it now.

Something else I noticed too was that the STFT under load was kind of all over the place so I'm really starting to think that this is the case and it just needs a retune.

Reflashed it with the Sct tune and the truck is still running like absolute garbage...Spent 45 mins on the phone with some of the guys from Vortech and they are stumped too, what a help that was hehe...I have him cleaning his mass air-t/b tonight and he's going to bring it by the shop tomorrow and let me take a little more in depth look at it with an oscilliscope and a few other things so I can at least try to narrow it down.

The Maf was reading 2700-2800hz at idle and it was still skipping, the o2 sensor mV's were all over the place as well nothing remotely steady...Afr was at a steady 14.6, BUT when I put the engine under a load, it never changed at all!

Also, what should the plugs be gapped at while he's running only 8#'s...He has new autolites in it right now.

Edited by Sp3edJunkie (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Reflashed it with the Sct tune and the truck is still running like absolute garbage...Spent 45 mins on the phone with some of the guys from Vortech and they are stumped too, what a help that was hehe...I have him cleaning his mass air-t/b tonight and he's going to bring it by the shop tomorrow and let me take a little more in depth look at it with an oscilliscope and a few other things so I can at least try to narrow it down.

The Maf was reading 2700-2800hz at idle and it was still skipping, the o2 sensor mV's were all over the place as well nothing remotely steady...Afr was at a steady 14.6, BUT when I put the engine under a load, it never changed at all!

Also, what should the plugs be gapped at while he's running only 8#'s...He has new autolites in it right now.

Was the maf oem or other?

also sounds like the plugs are dead, use ngk tr6 gap .035" stock plugs will melt and blow out with stock gap .055"

I have a vortech on my 03, plugs are gaped @ .040, i run close to 10lbs. (Delco all the way)

Not sure what scanner your using? Tech 2 would be Ideal. With GM you always diag the code with lowest number first, ie P0101. (potentailly could be setting other codes)

I havn't seen a spec in hertz for a maf, but if your scanner is able to watch grams per second:

The MAF display should increase from 42-50 g/s at idle to 420 g/s or more at the 2-3 shift during a wide-open throttle (WOT) acceleration.

Clean it first, and verify.

~Dan