You guys should be proud of me. Finally dropped.

MustBBrent

I lowered my SS yesterday. I installed the Belltech 6400 parts kit and 2deg shims as well as cut the rear bump stops. I also turned the front torsion bars 6 1/2 turns on the front right and 6 3/4 on thr front left to even the front out. I know, I know, I need to show the pics, but the wife "put away" the charger cord for the digital camera, so no battery and no pics right now or ever until I can get to compusa and buy another one to replace the one she "put away."

I couldn't figure out how to reverse the helper spring EASILY, so I used my knee and lower leg as a lever and lifted the rear end springs and just slid the 2deg shims in above the assembly. It seems to be ok. I have only accelerated to 80 or so with no issues. I need to go today or tomorrow and get it re-aligned.

I did not cut the front bump stops. I like the way it feels. I don't feel like a 4 wheel drive (doesn't feel as tall.) Handles the large dips in the road at highway speeds a bit better on my seat of the pants o'meter.

One other note, I have the trailering package from GM. Dang, there are a lot of bolts to loosen to drop that tow bar so you can remove the lower bolts and remove/replace the shackles.

All in all, it ranks up there very well with the good mods.

BTW, the rear dropped 1.5" average and the front dropped 1.25" average. And my truck had the right side lower than the left, now only the right rear is lower than the left rear by about 5/8". The fronts are within 1/16" and I measured multiple times after several drives over bumps and around corners.

See :thumb: You guys should be proud of me. :D

If you didn't touch the front bumpstops, then the torsion bars aren't doing much now. My SS was basically sitting on the stops before I lowered it. Yours must be firm on the stops.

I did mine today. Only went down about 4 turns on each side. Left the rear stops alone, since they still have some clearance. That way if I carry a heavy load, I don't have to worry. I did trim the front stops. I haven't driven it much yet, but I think its going to ride better.

On the trailer package: I left mine in place. I just trimmed out the small parts of the hitch that would allow the spring bolt to slide out. I used a sawsall and it took about 2 minutes to do. If I ever want, I can weld it back up. I doubt that I hurt any tow capacity, but I rarely tow anyway.

If you didn't touch the front bumpstops, then the torsion bars aren't doing much now.  My SS was basically sitting on the stops before I lowered it.  Yours must be firm on the stops.

I did mine today.  Only went down about 4 turns on each side.  Left the rear stops alone, since they still have some clearance.  That way if I carry a heavy load, I don't have to worry.  I did trim the front stops.  I haven't driven it much yet, but I think its going to ride better.

On the trailer package:  I left mine in place.  I just trimmed out the small parts of the hitch that would allow the spring bolt to slide out.  I used a sawsall and it took about 2 minutes to do.  If I ever want, I can weld it back up.  I doubt that I hurt any tow capacity, but I rarely tow anyway.

Actually, the truck front is just touching the front bump stops barely. As for the torsion bars, the left one is sitting squarely on the torsion ring and the right one has about 1/2" left till bottom. The left side is still higher than the right side, so I am leaving it alone. In fact I may raise the right side just a touch to get them even... though the alignment they did on my truck today, they could not get the Camber (I think) less than 4.5deg. Just out of spec. Anyway, I like the different feel. It is abit more like my vette was on performance with the F45 suspension.

MustBBrent, did you drop the rear 1" or 2"?

Steve

I used the 2" drop kit and the 2" drop holes, it only dropped the rear 1.5" roughly. As for the front, I turned the bolts 6.5 turns till the left side made it all the way to the holder. The right side still has some travel, but it is almost even.

Good job Brent :thumbs: Hope you're happy with it. Probaly about as hard as a cam install ;)

If I had the tools, I think I would attempt it. The parts list is inexpensive enough. I know the CAM I would want will be a higher lift CAM so I need to do the springs which are the part that scares me more. That and the price of the tools would mean just get someone else to do the install. :)

Though I am feeling a bit like Superman, I may attempt it yet!

Springs are the easy part.  Just tedious and time consuming.

Well then. You sure make it sound simple. So I guess I am out of excuses. But everytime I go to ls1howto.com, I get a bit nervous.

MTI, out of Houston, made some of the most powerful Camaros and Corvettes. Below are some of the MTI cams. I kinda like the C1 or maybe the Stealth. thoughts? Do you think they will be comparable to stock cam torque at 2000RPMs and up? I know either will give quite a bit more HP from 3kRPM on up past 6kRPM. I just want to make sure that I can get the truck moving without the stall from a light. As in, if I go this route, it will be a while before I get the Stall.

MTI Signature Series

Intake Exhaust Intake Exhaust Cam Duration Lift Lobe Separation

C1 222 222 .566 .566 112

C2 224 224 .581 .581 112

X1 230 227 .591 .571 112

R1* 232 236 .575 .578 114

Z1* 236 236 .585 .585 112

S1* 244 244 .612 .612 112

* For use with stroker engines only

MTI Stealth Series

Intake Exhaust Intake Exhaust Cam Duration Lift Lobe Separation

Stealth I 220 220 .581 .581 115

Stealth II 224 220 .576 .581 116

Thoughts? I feel like I should just do it, but again am nervous about picking a CAM and then I have to just install it with springs.

I sent MTI an email, but have not received any response yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived