How far can you go without voiding your warranty

MSNttF

I am planning on supercharging a 5.3 reg cab and i just wanted to know what that would do to the warranty? I wouldnt think it would still cover the engine but i thought i might ask the people that have already done this. And if it does not void it, then how far can you go before it does?

A good letter from a reader of Sport Truck asking the same question in the MAR '04 mag. The answer being, it's up to the dealership. If they customize vehicles with these types of upgrades, chances are they may not give you a hard time. On the other side, with my truck, my dealership hasn't voided my warranty, they just refuse to work on it. Same end result.

Depends on the situation. If the aftermarket parts you install on your vehicle are the direct cause of the malfuntion then there's a good chance your going to be S.O.L.

However, if you install a supercharger and something goes wrong and you show that it isnt a result of you installing the supercharger, then they cannot deny the warranty claim. If they do, take them to court and make them fix it. Yet, if it is a result of the aftermarket part, they'd mostly be within thier rights to deny the claim. Depending on the dealership and etc etc some may be nice enough to cover it once, but they dont have to.

Problem with installing something like a supercharger or something thats dramatically increasing your power is, if something goes wrong with the tranny or just about anything in the drivetrain, they may well try and shaft you out of the claim anyway by saying that something to the effect of "he pushed the vehicle past what it was designed for, causing said malfunction" yada yada... So gotta take your chances.

When it comes down to it, its not what you know, its WHO you know...... :thumbs:

AND, what the service dept doesn't know won't hurt them.

If you think a mod will make a shop not warranty your problem, remove the mod first. If you are in doubt, call around before taking it in.

They can always do like Pete Moore Chevrolet did with me. They said they weren't voiding my warranty, they just refused to work on it. Removing a radix is not an easy task, or at least something I would rather do as little as possible.

So, I would try and find out what the problem was myself first and see what it was to fix it. If it were a serious thing, like blown engine, I would probaly try to remove all my crap and go to the dealer. If it's fairly simple and not too costly, I'd fix myself.

I solved the radix problem by having the dealership I bought my SS from install the supercharger. I got the radix warranty and the full factory warranty.

In fact since I had mine installed they have done several and are branching out into the performance arena. Everytime they want to try something new they call me to see if I want to try it first at a discount. Just got may pillar pod and boost and air fuel ratio guages at cost.

In other words it is the relationship you delvelop with your dealer that is the important thing.

I am planning on supercharging a 5.3 reg cab and i just wanted to know what that would do to the warranty? I wouldnt think it would still cover the engine but i thought i might ask the people that have already done this. And if it does not void it, then how far can you go before it does?

like said by others it depends on dealer, however, thwere is an exception. That is that only parts directly affected by the supercharger/ aftermarket modification can be a void of the waranty. so say u get a supercharger, then they can't void the interior waranty, etc... :thumbs:

however as far as powertrain goes, u r at the dealers mercy, if it was a lighter mod, then the burde of proof is always on the dealer

Archived