Fuel Cut Off Switch

saytagf

As many of you read my Last Post you could understand my new found obsession with safety. i was considering installing a simple hidding fuel cutt off switch as an added precaution. Anyone done one of these before or know where to purchase required components??

Wow....crazy story....

I lived in SD for 3-4 years where I owned a Honda Accord(temp car while in the Navy).....

3 HU's gone(including one of those sweet 3disc indash Alpines)....car busted into 6 times....steering column replaced twice....car eventually stolen, stripped, and burned on the side of the road...

I even managed to scare them off once. I had a pager alarm with remote start. I woke to it buzzing, and remotely started the car. Within a minute or two, they had already had the HU out of the dash, but wires still connected... That would have been HU #4...

tough love out in Cali.....at least for me...

LoJack stickers didn't help, and I even considered embedding a shotgun shell in my steering wheel, attached to a firing pin with a 2 minute delay after a speakerless/hornless alarm went off.....but I'm pretty sure that's illegal in your state... :shakehead: I did learn something out there, and it sounded like good advice, was not to let a shop install your alarm, and do it yourself. The installers out there are more often than not, thieves....

It's crazy to think that all they wanted was your Nav unit....yet they had to steal your entire truck to get it....What sucks, is that a fuel cut-off won't stop them from trying...replacing steering colums get's pricey....Maybe just remotely install a fuse, like in your center console, or under the dash.

neither a fuel cutoff or remote fuse will stop a thief from dragging the truck up on a roll back :ughdance:

:withstupid:

but a roll back can be noisy. if someone is going to steal it they will, all you can do is slow them down as much as possible to louse interest in it.we had a 99 mustang that was inpounded here last week, and we needed to move it. went to start it and nothing, no crank. after a bit we found that he wired the starter relay thru the head light switch, so the only way it would crank and start was turning on the lights.after it started you can turn them off and drive away....slick for sure

good luck

:seeya:

I appreciate the input everyone and your all right...if they want it they'll get it. But does anyone know the actual mechanics of installing a kill switch?? is it easy is it difficult? what does it intail?

just keep a pitbull, rot, or doverman in the truck at all times... :dunno:

ES :flag:

That was going to be my first response, as it's probably about the best....but a dog will have to take a dump eventually..

As for switches...just break the 12v going to you starter...I like the light trick mentioned above, but you would need some kind of solenoid to do it. If you have the highbeam wire harness(lows on during high beam), you could even use the solenoid that came with the harness...in which, you would only be able to start the truck with high beams...

very seldom would a thief turn on headlights, before they got the vehicle running....nor would they think to turn them on if it were mid-day.

Edited by dawgbone (see edit history)

Everyone is talking about killing spark, but the original question was about a fuel cutoff switch.

If you want to cut the power to the fuel pump, then just splice a switch into the power wire going to the tank. Hide it somewhere you can easily reach it but people wont be able to see it.