Engine Oil Life

fox_forma

Today on the way into work when I fired up my SSS my engine oil life screen flashed and nicely told me it was time for an oil change. I thought something was a little off so I decided to pull out my book that I write down all my service times and miles etc and I have only drove about 2,000 miles. Does the oil life system go off of the miles put on since last oil reset or does it actually determine the quality of the oil break down somehow? I def reset the oil life on the last change as it was after I drove to AZ from PA which put 2500 miles on my truck alone and that was 5+ months ago.

Did you change your PCM? Engine oil life is stored in the PCM, so if you change it, you will display what was left in the last truck the PCM was in.

Mike

Ok well I might as well kick myself in the nuts for this one, yeah I changed it out once I got here, didnt even think about that :banghead:

it goes by several dimensions such as engine load, engine temp, mileage, and some other ones i forgot. it generally shoots for more like 4k-5k miles tho.....
:withstupid: Engine load, temp, RPM, and time. Uses a mathmatical formula using these variables. I change mine at 6K with synthetic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey buddy,

We just had a big "Emerging Issue" addressing the Oil Life at the dealership. So I will let you guys know a couple of things, if you take your trucks in for service, GM now has changed their standard of stickers. The wording says "Last Service Performed" on the recommended stickers...So if you see your current mileage, and date of service on it. It is suppose to read that IF the vehicle has an oil life index. As Kelley said, the index factors in multiple parameteres, however most are designed to come on at 6,000miles...