Need Some Logging Help - Hp Tuners

SSThunder

Ok. My CEL(check engine light) came on again and it's the same cat DTC. I would like to log some to see if I can pinpoint the trouble. What do I need to log to get detailed info about the cats/o2 sensors. I noticed some popping when driving on the interstate. Kind of like the truck is missing. Is this a cat/o2 problem? In the past the truck missed because I put the metal boots from the stock plug wires on my performance plug wires. Any tuner help would be good. I can send the logs to anybody who wants to check them out.

Thanks, Jeremy

Ok. My CEL(check engine light) came on again and it's the same cat DTC. I would like to log some to see if I can pinpoint the trouble. What do I need to log to get detailed info about the cats/o2 sensors. I noticed some popping when driving on the interstate. Kind of like the truck is missing. Is this a cat/o2 problem? In the past the truck missed because I put the metal boots from the stock plug wires on my performance plug wires. Any tuner help would be good. I can send the logs to anybody who wants to check them out.

Thanks, Jeremy

Sounds like you are detonating to me. If you have a cat or o2 problem, you should fix it asap. A bad cat can cause your motor to blow. What do the readings on your cats look like when you scan the truck?

go ahead and email me some log files, particularly ones during times you think its misfiring.

also, i notice you have dynatech cats.... these will usually throw a CEL for cat performance, especially with a blower. the misfiring thing is most likely a completely diferent issue. i would recomend going back to stock plug wires with insulator booties on them IMO. email the logs to [email protected]

I got one log last night and hopefully more tonight or tomorrow. Stupid HP tuners scan software keeps loosing connection or something. I think my laptop USB doesn't like the HP ODB/usb cable. I'll check the plug wires. I wonder if I should also check my spark plugs?

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy,

Took a brief look at your logs last night. I was hoping to see a bit more WOT, however since you are having issues, I can understand your hesitancy. Here are just some observations I noticed (going off of memory here as I am away from my tuning laptop).

1. You are deffinately seeing KR at various levels, mostly with a TPS over say 40% (again just from memory). I recall seeing KR when you were cruising and what appeared to be a gear kick-down or a TC unlock. Could just be burst KR or even Tip-In. It wasn't crazy but can be tuned out with alot of patience and time.

2. Since there was limited 100% TPS readings, it is hard to gauge what your 02's are actually reading in Pe mode however I think I recall seeing like 820mv during the brief 100% TPS in scan 3. I think a 830 is around 13.1-13.2 however the narrow bands are not that great for precision. Now I am not a tuner however I target over 900 to give me a "safe 11.9:1" wideband reading. I think you may be a little lean for my taste.

3. Your LTFT are way +. Did you do a reflash just prior to this log opr reset your trims? I would be concerned with this as I saw times where they were +25 indicating the PCM is adding alot of fuel to overcome a possible lean condition. I try to get the fuel trims ~0 or preferrably "slightly" negative. Since the fuel trims are out so far + as on your truck, the MAF could be under-reporting the airflow (leak after the sensor). Since the idle LTFT's are closer (I think I saw around +8 to +10), a vacuum leak is not really a primary suspect BUT could be. Other experienced tuners (hopefully) will correct me if anything I stated is not quite accurate or explained in detail enough. I also believe that if you have positive fuel trims then when you enter PE mode it adds extra fuel on top of what you command. I don't think this is a super bad thing as you will just not get the power you should be getting and may foul plugs / clog cats.

4. You are making boost (over 103kPa).

5. IAT's seem to be in check however you had limited WOT bursts. I would like to see a full 1,2,3 gear pull to like 100MPH (after your fueling issues are corrected). What was the ambient temperature during your logs???

6. Your ECT is low (good thing) and you are obviously running a 160* thermo. Maybe your ECT adder is influencing your fuel trims :dunno:

7. You got a good amount of spark advance. Again, couldn't really see a full WOT run but even with several * of KR, I still saw like 17* advance durnign your brief 100% TPS.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.... :thumbs:

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Thanks Kevin. I haven't reflashed in awhile or reset the my trims. I'll check for a vacuum leak. i've got a wideband but haven't got it installed yet so I hope to do that soon since I'm working from home if the lawyer doesn't take ALL my money lol :jester: Got to laugh as much as possible these days. Thanks for looking over my logs.

Jeremy,

Took a brief look at your logs last night. I was hoping to see a bit more WOT, however since you are having issues, I can understand your hesitancy. Here are just some observations I noticed (going off of memory here as I am away from my tuning laptop).

1. You are deffinately seeing KR at various levels, mostly with a TPS over say 40% (again just from memory). I recall seeing KR when you were cruising and what appeared to be a gear kick-down or a TC unlock. Could just be burst KR or even Tip-In. It wasn't crazy but can be tuned out with alot of patience and time.

2. Since there was limited 100% TPS readings, it is hard to gauge what your 02's are actually reading in Pe mode however I think I recall seeing like 830mv during the brief 100% TPS in scan 3. Now I am not a tuner however I target over 900 to give me a "safe 11.9:1" wideband reading. I think you may be a little lean for my taste.

3. Your LTFT are way +. Did you do a reflash just prior to this log opr reset your trims? I would be concerned with this as I saw times where they were +25 indicating the PCM is adding alot of fuel to overcome a possible lean condition. I try to get the fuel trims ~0 or preferrably "slightly" negative. Since the fuel trims are out so far + as on your truck, the MAF could be under-reporting the airflow (leak after the sensor). Since the idle LTFT's are closer (I think I saw around +8 to +10), a vacuum leak is not really a primary suspect BUT could be. Other experienced tuners (hopefully) will correct me if anything I stated is not quite accurate or explained in detail enough. I also believe that if you have positive fuel trims then when you enter PE mode it adds extra fuel on top of what you command. I don't think this is a super bad thing as you will just not get the power you should be getting and may foul plugs / clog cats.

4. You are making boost (over 103kPa).

5. IAT's seem to be in check however you had limited WOT bursts. I would like to see a full 1,2,3 gear pull to like 100MPH (after your fueling issues are corrected). What was the ambient temperature during your logs???

6. Your ECT is low (good thing) and you are obviously running a 160* thermo. Maybe your ECT adder is influencing your fuel trims :dunno:

7. You got a good amount of spark advance. Again, couldn't really see a full WOT run but even with several * of KR, I still saw like 17* advance durnign your brief 100% TPS.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.... :thumbs:

I agree with Kevin, the KR* could be worked out that is coming in at part throttle with a bit of work and the wide open throttle KR* is likely related and easier to tune out. Installing that wideband would make it very easy to see just how far off your wide open numbers are though, but I think it may be closer than the narrow band is showing. I also agree that the fuel trims are very far off. With as far off as the trims are, I could only assume that there is a vacuum leak or a problem with the 02 sensors. There could also be a leak of air between the mass air sensor and the throttle body causing this.

I agree with Kevin, the KR* could be worked out that is coming in at part throttle with a bit of work and the wide open throttle KR* is likely related and easier to tune out. Installing that wideband would make it very easy to see just how far off your wide open numbers are though, but I think it may be closer than the narrow band is showing. I also agree that the fuel trims are very far off. With as far off as the trims are, I could only assume that there is a vacuum leak or a problem with the 02 sensors. There could also be a leak of air between the mass air sensor and the throttle body causing this.

hey zip. could my cat code be the reason my FT are off? I really need to check out my connections to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak. i need a garage at my apartment so i can work in cold weather lol. wonder if my cat code could be caused by a bad o2?