Need Some Help With My Beater

RacerJJ

I have a 1990 Nissan 240sx. I am having trouble keeping it running. The tranny slips and the struts are blown so I am not wanting to spend a ton to keep it running because it is not worth it. First off...The bumber above the tail pipe is BLACK!!! When under load and coming to a stop, the iddle is really rough and it seems like it wants to stall but it never does. Lately, when I leave from a stop, it seems to sputter at first and I can hear that the exhaust note is cutting in and out. It has 110k on it and I try to keep up with regular maintenance.

I have tried every trick in the book so far. I have changed the plugs, wires, oil, done 2 Sea Foam treatments in the tank and one in the oil, did an engine flush cleanout deal before the oil change yesterday, cleaned the TB, changed the fuel filter, and adjusted the idle. The check engine light has been on since I bought it a year and a half ago. The damn thing just doesn't want to run and I can't figure out why. Vaccuum leak? Clogged injectors? Fuel pump? Any help is greatly appreciated.

i wish i could give you some insight but i can't remember what happened with my 93 nx when it was dong that. i did everything you did. i put some lucas in it though. about 4 months after i had it the clutch went then i blew the motor. i think that was from the octane booster i put in it. it could be the vacuum line. sorry if i didn't help much.

Do u know what the SES light is on for? Go to Autozone and see what they can read 4 U, at least it is free!!! How about oxygen sensors, and cleaning the mass air flow sensor???

I have no idea what the light is on for and I can't find where to plug the scanner into. I've thought about the o2 sensors and I haven' tried the MAF yet. I was looking through the my manual last night and those are next on the list.

Idle air controller, PCV, O2 sensors. O2 sensors will cause the SES light.

How about a Haynes manual? In every one of them I have used there is a way to decode the SES light without having to use a scanner. It may be that your battery light blinks a code or something, but usually you do not need a scanner.

I have a '91 Honda and the above listed items are some of the things I had to do. Is the sea foam stuff injector cleaner? Never used it. If it were American I'd say possibly fuel pump. I would do the inj. and pump last.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the insight everyone. I have a Chilton Manual and I read it cover to cover. I finally broke down and took her to a shop. The diagnosis: Leaking fuel injectors so air was getting into the system and my EGR valve is missing. They replaced the injectors but, even though it is a California car, there wasn't any wiring for the EGR so I can't have one. The spot for it in the motor had been plugged by someone. The codes were for the EGR and the injectors. $300 later, and I'm getting 24 mpg again with no SES lights!

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)