Custom Gauge Cluster

i am plain sick of my cluster getting stuck from passing 6k rpms or 120 mph..... and i shift at 6700 rpm and basically have no idea when to shift, and i hate shift lights. SO ive been thinking, why dont i make my own custom cluster, but do it on top of the factory base w/ the DIC so everything still functions properly. i will just remove everything, and make an enclosure to house the gauges and cover everything but the DIC. my comp crashed, so all i have is paint :( can anyone photoshop this or maybe have any better ideas? here is what i am thinking about.... please, everyone speak up and voice your opinion/thoughts. thanks!

gaugecluster.jpg

Are you set on the C2 series? I know that there are some much nicer ones out there... I know that personally when I rebuild the dash in my camaro I'm going with the Nexus series, I'd check them out if I were you (they're unreal)... Also, do you have any pillar gauges? If not, I'd say get a scanguage and add two more matching gauges with with it (such as EGT and AFR)...

And sorry, but I've got no photoshop, although in my head your setup looks pretty good!

ya in my mind it looks kick ass too lol! :D i wanna stagger them like the vette and maybe even put a very dim black light in the cluster like the vette. what material could i use to get the tach and speedo raised but still have the cluster stay one piece? this is starting to sound pretty expensive lol :(

im not set totally on the C2, i was gunna do the ultra lites because i already have two aeroforce scan gauges in brushed alum, a boost gauge, fuel pressure, and wideband all in ultra lite

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

whered you see it??

i honestly cant remember. i think it was in a Truckin mag a while ago. like 3-5 years ago. i think it was on the older model silverados like 95-98 not positive though. they have them a lot on older camaros, chevelles, etc. check out some Chevy High Performance or Super Chevy mags. i know its not the same thing, but i guess its the closest

heres a mockup of it. i think it looks pretty good.

It wouldn't look to bad like that, but as far as layout goes, I would put the two fuel gauges next to each other top right, and the two oil gauges next to each other top left. Makes it easier to read at a glance with "zones".

As far as fabrication experience, I would try to talk with fast4popper. He's very good at fiberglass work and custom molding special interior pieces like that and he could probably whip up show worthy cluster pretty easily. Check out this post of his where he molded a couple of gauges to his rearview mirror instead of using a gaaaaaawdy pillar pod. Chris (fast4popper) is a car stereo installation manager with "mad skilzz" and extends bargains to silveradoss.com members on a regular basis, so he's pretty good to deal with.

I want to drop in some gaffrig, livirorsi or nordskic gauges. They have gps speedo's. Some of them even made custom colors styles everything is changable. They also mount up to all the mercruiser stuff which is also gm fuel injected stuff. You can easily find any adapters. They are marine use but do not look like it if you do not use the bezels. A quick fab of a flat carbon fiber panel is kinda simple too. try this http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...1&page=GRID

They have some sic carbon fiber. I have used it on prior project's with a west system hardener. They make a good uv protective hardener. You can play around with it. Them sand the hell out of it and use clear coat. Should you use autometer stuf the marine stuff hooks up to it as well.

It wouldn't look to bad like that, but as far as layout goes, I would put the two fuel gauges next to each other top right, and the two oil gauges next to each other top left. Makes it easier to read at a glance with "zones".

As far as fabrication experience, I would try to talk with fast4popper. He's very good at fiberglass work and custom molding special interior pieces like that and he could probably whip up show worthy cluster pretty easily. Check out this post of his where he molded a couple of gauges to his rearview mirror instead of using a gaaaaaawdy pillar pod. Chris (fast4popper) is a car stereo installation manager with "mad skilzz" and extends bargains to silveradoss.com members on a regular basis, so he's pretty good to deal with.

yea i see where your coming from, but i did it that way becuase fuel level and volts and water temp are things i will only occasionally look at. the tach, fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost, and oil temp will be monitored all the time.... i guess thats why i did it. i will also keep the aeroforces where they are now. and thanks, i will pm fast4popper