Cam/stall Recomendations

so ive decided to take a break from my current career as ive been offered a managerial position at a former company i worked for and will get a pretty hefty up front bonus so i think at some point over the winter here id like to go ahead and install a cam. little background and a couple questions.

so i already have full 3 inch exhaust/headers/4.56 gears/2800 converter/tuned/etc.

im concerned about getting a stall to match up to whatever i decide. my current stall is nice but i think it will bee too tight for a healthy/lopey type cam.

also with my gearing so steep already im wondering how that might affect my cam/stall choice. at this point when my converter flashes it is already past the point of traction.

whatever i decide ill have to upgrade injectors since those are already maxed out.

what id like is a cam that doesnt give up too much on the bottom end but has a nice choppy idle but will also work well with the stock truck intake. at this point im not driving my truck that much so i need it streetable but am willing to live with a 3200-3600 stall if i have to.

so id like to hear some recomandations from all of you guys. thanks in advance.

you stated your running the stock intake. Zippy commented on that recently and here is what he said:

I consistantly see alot of truck's running bigger cams that aren't running any quicker times than those of the smaller cammed trucks. For quite some time MWalls truck was on the list as the quickest 6.0L SSS with an XR265HR and a tbtc. Any cam over [email protected] running the stock truck intake is gaining so little over someone with a much smaller cam that it's deffinitly not worth the drivability issues as well as other issue's with having a big cam. For a stock to mild cam SSS a 3000 stall is preferred when racing it, but not for everyday drivability and life. I'd stick with a 2600-2800 stall on something that is daily driven and is still used a bit in truck fashion.

from the tons of input i got over at pt.net i will probably go with a reverse split cam...something like a 230/224 or a 231/227 which seem to work best with the stock heads and truck intake. might go with a 228/228 too. still gathering info. whatever i decide im probably gonna go 3400-3600 on the stall.

from the tons of input i got over at pt.net i will probably go with a reverse split cam...something like a 230/224 or a 231/227 which seem to work best with the stock heads and truck intake. might go with a 228/228 too. still gathering info. whatever i decide im probably gonna go 3400-3600 on the stall.

Hope you give the guy in front of you plenty of room b/c you'll be right up on him with steep of stall :eek:

I agree with what brobradh77 said keep it between 2600-2800 if driving on the street, or you'll be really upset with the drivability of the truck with a 3400-3600 stall just my .02 though it is your truck :cheers:

Edited by smkdu (see edit history)

Hope you give the guy in front of you plenty of room b/c you'll be right up on him with steep of stall :eek:

I agree with what brobradh77 said keep it between 2600-2800 if driving on the street, or you'll be really upset with the drivability of the truck with a 3400-3600 stall just my .02 though it is your truck :cheers:

its not a daily driver and with my 4.56 gearing that will offset some of the stall. the cams i listed needsat least a 3000 stall anyways.

im already maxed on injectors so 42lbers will be part of this deal as well. my current stall is by APS. they dont advertise any gm stuff to speak of...mainly chrysler. but he lives local to me and he workes with my tranny guy so we worked something out. its a 2800 but its on the tight side.

here is the converter guy. his name is Wayne and he lives about ten minutes from my house. the dodge guys know him well, lol.

http://www.apsprecision.com/TQConverter.html

Edited by I Am Mr. LessAmerican (see edit history)