Need Job Help!

streatsboy

Well, I just recently became unemployed. So I need some fresh ideas to help me pick which direction I should go. I'm fixing to be 20 years old, and i really don't have a clue about what i would like to do for the rest of my life. :dunno: I graduated high school in 06' and started working for a company that provides services to the oil and gas field... While i was in high school, I became a shift manager at our local Papa Johns. I ended up leaving papa johns to triple my pay... What I had been planning on doing after high school was go to Nasville Auto Diesel College an get my ASE certification, but ended up gettin a job an goin in debt on a beautiful SS :chevy: Right now i'm just trying to find something temporary around town to pay for my bills, but at the end of next summer, I'm wanting to go back to school and further my education in some way... The two options i've been contemplating are either NADC, or go to college and obtain some kind of engineering degree. I'm the kind of guy that enjoys hands on work more than paperwork... And i'm not a mathematition either... What kind of jobs are out there that pay well, and that's something you don't mind waking up in the morning to do? Any idea's are greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Go to school. Doesn't matter what type of school just go. I say this for the simple fact that I chose to work in the oilfield and make the quick dollar. Im still at it and now I watch young engineers come through our company and rapidly get promoted to easier type of work. Me with no edumication...stuck doing the same work, with no office job insight. I know I still could go but that decision gets harder as you get older. Just wished I would have went. Sorry, to rant

Go to school. Doesn't matter what type of school just go. I say this for the simple fact that I chose to work in the oilfield and make the quick dollar. Im still at it and now I watch young engineers come through our company and rapidly get promoted to easier type of work. Me with no edumication...stuck doing the same work, with no office job insight. I know I still could go but that decision gets harder as you get older. Just wished I would have went. Sorry, to rant

Thanks... I know it wasn't really goin to take me anywhere except back problems in my forties....

Edited by streatsboy (see edit history)

Go to college and get a BS degree. Programming and IT is always a good field to get into. Healthcare experience is a plus for programming/analyst positions. I recently turned down a good paying job to stay with my current company because they gave me more money and are letting me work from home full time. Next thing I know the company I turned down added a work at home type program and tried to get me to reconsider. I still had to say no because I already made my decision and it would not look good on me to jump ship after saying I would stay. People with this type of specialized experience can make really good money. My friend has moved up in the field a lot and now make over $80K and for KY that's a lot.

School is the key. If you don't like math then engineering is probably not a good direction, as there's a ton of math. Doesn't matter what degree you get, because most places don't really care as long as you have that piece of paper. If you're really interested in being a diesel tech then a trade school would be a good direction to go.

School is the key. If you don't like math then engineering is probably not a good direction, as there's a ton of math. Doesn't matter what degree you get, because most places don't really care as long as you have that piece of paper. If you're really interested in being a diesel tech then a trade school would be a good direction to go.

I really don't have a hard time in learning mathematics, it's just that i only went as far as Algebra 1 in high school and i've forgotten most of it by now... Just would have ALOT of catching up to do..

I'm not much older than you and was recently in very similar posistion...At 18 i started working in the television industry and had the sweetest gig laid out...At 19 i owned my own place and a new SS...long story short the industry went to crap, the company i was with went under and lay offs were happening left and right...me included....now im back in school and in debt...but i finally realized it's worth it...I firmly believe there is no one in the world who hates school more than me but im sticking through it for nothing other than the luxury of options..My dad always said get a college degree so you can work at McDonalds..not so you have too...go to school...it's worth it

I really don't have a hard time in learning mathematics, it's just that i only went as far as Algebra 1 in high school and i've forgotten most of it by now... Just would have ALOT of catching up to do..

You shouldn't have to take many math classes depending on your major/minor. I think I had a college algebra class and a stats class and that was about it and my degree is in CIS(computr information systems). My college at the time offered what they called an Area of Concentration in CIS(major/minor in CIS) so my case may be unique. What majors are you thinking about?

You shouldn't have to take many math classes depending on your major/minor. I think I had a college algebra class and a stats class and that was about it and my degree is in CIS(computr information systems). My college at the time offered what they called an Area of Concentration in CIS(major/minor in CIS) so my case may be unique. What majors are you thinking about?

Well... I've been looking into a Petroleum Engineering Degree. http://www.marietta.edu/~petr/index.html

I've also been thinking of a Civil or Industrial Engineering Degree... I think I would be able to find a well paying job close to home with one of these degrees... There's just something about Tennessee I love, and whenever I have children this is where they'll be raised.. What all is involved in getting a CIS degree Jeremy?

Well... I've been looking into a Petroleum Engineering Degree. http://www.marietta.edu/~petr/index.html

I've also been thinking of a Civil or Industrial Engineering Degree... I think I would be able to find a well paying job close to home with one of these degrees... There's just something about Tennessee I love, and whenever I have children this is where they'll be raised.. What all is involved in getting a CIS degree Jeremy?

Basically 4 years of college for a BS or BA. Plenty of IT people don't even need a degree. You can get certified in many different areas and make good money. I'm kind of a jack of all trade at my job but I do have specific jobs I do that others don't. Right now IT is trying to setup my laptop so I can work from home. I've got so much software that it's taking them a long time to get the laptop ready. There are plenty of people make $60K+ at my company not counting our yearly bonus. I've got a friend who has moved up a lot in the company makeing over $80K a year. With a CIS degree you can do many different jobs. You can be a systems analyst, programmer/analyst, data mining analyst, IT and lots more. I've got the skills of an IT person, programmer/analyst and data mining analyst so I'm valuable to my company and other companies if I want to leave. I've already had a company add the telecomute/work from home stuff to their company hoping to land me but I stayed with my current company.

I agree with CoolBlue, if you don't like math or you just have a hard time with it, engineering may not be for you. I am currently trying to earn my degree in mechanical engineering and the math is not fun. If you can learn it quick then take a couple of review math courses(I recommend trig and some level of algebra) before you dive into the hard ones(calculus). Whatever you decide to do just stick it out and do your best because it is well worth it in the long run. Good luck. :thumbs:

To be honest, I really don't know if School is the answer. I think it really depends on what you do and how much you know. I mean, in my area it is mostly poverty. I dicked around with computers since I was a little kid. I was the computer tech at my school since I was in the 9th grade. I ran a network with over 250+ computers. I made good grades in school. I got a scholarship to go to college. So I went for my MST degree (Microcomputer Support Technology). I dropped out after a semester. School bored me and they didn't teach me anything new. I decided to go in to business for my self. I have three computer repairs shops in southeast Missouri and I now have a Wireless ISP. I had a dream one night, woke up, and acted it out and it's worked for me. I have over 2k customers, I have equipment on 87 towers, and I have two OC3 lines at 50 something mb a piece. And let me tell you, that bandwidth is very expensive.

Sure, I'm making money. I can pay the bills and **** off and hire people to do my jobs now but hey, education isn't everything. It's what you know and how to use it. I look at it like this. If you wake up in the morning dreading what you do then your not gonna live happily. Find something that you enjoy to do and pursue that. So what if it doesn't make but 20k a year. I'd rather be extremely happy with no money than with all the money in the world and be lonely and miserable.

Sorry to spill out my life story but figured what the hell..

by the way, i'm 22!