Iat Sensor Relocation

RacerJJ

Is it is possible to move the IAT sensor to a remote location? I am not FI but I am interested in moving it to improve racing consistency. Is it possible to maybe move it to a location such as in front of the radiator so it gets cool air while going down the track? TIA...

Is it is possible to move the IAT sensor to a remote location? I am not FI but I am interested in moving it to improve racing consistency. Is it possible to maybe move it to a location such as in front of the radiator so it gets cool air while going down the track? TIA...

Yes; I want to do this too. I've read a lot on ls1tech about this, it is well discussed there. You might also search PT for a how-to :dunno: I know on our trucks the IAT sensor in the MAF suffers heat-soak really bad. On N/A application (as ours) we want the IAT out in clean air, but in boosted apps you want to read the actual post-intercooler temp...

Mr. P.

Yes; I want to do this too. I've read a lot on ls1tech about this, it is well discussed there. You might also search PT for a how-to :dunno: I know on our trucks the IAT sensor in the MAF suffers heat-soak really bad. On N/A application (as ours) we want the IAT out in clean air, but in boosted apps you want to read the actual post-intercooler temp...

Mr. P.

I'd mount it as close to the throttle body as possible to try and get as true of a reading as possible. Problem with placing it someplace away from the intake tract is that, while it may be accurately measuring ambient air, the temps entering the motor will be higher.

Justin

caspers, makes a break out harness and you can use a IAT sensor from a firebird, camaro, or corvette. Then change the resistor for a faster responding unit. I have the PN for all of them but will have to look them up. PM me if you want them and i'll do the digging.

In all honesty, I wouldn't do it. I would work a seperate program for racing. In you tables, you will find a table that deals with IAT VS. TIMING. if you set all the values above 180 degrees before it starts to pull timing and tune your timing table efficiently, you could make something that is real consistent. Also I'm sure i don't need to tell you but, if your running brackets, tune the timing to peak and optimal, then back off about 5 degrees, so you have some tuning to advace between runs to grab and extra .010 if you need it. I always think it's better to consistently run a bit slower than the car is capable and then have the extra cusion if necessary due to track conditions.

Edited by PladdPezzPunk (see edit history)