Shout Box

Rausche

Question

Okay, so I've been doing a little thinking (which is somewhat odd...), and I've decided that a chatroom is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that this consensus has been reached already. The risk is obviously that of losing valuable information and debates into some random logfile...

However, I've seen a few of these boards with Shout Boxes, which is just a little place to say what's up and let everyone know you're on the site... I wouldn't imagine that it would be difficult to implicate, either...

Any thoughts?

15 answers to this question

This seems to be the best one I could find:

http://forums.dscripting.com/index.php?aut...mp;showfile=126

It's free and very highly recommended. It should be real easy install, and would be just as easily removed if we didn't like it...

Whaddya say guys, give it a shot?

• Admin

Ive been looking at the chatroom thing more seriously.

There seems to be some good options one of which is Flashchat

A shoutbox could be implement pretty easy if everyone wanted. I always thought they were kinda stupid but I am willing to do whatever if enough people want it

The only problem I remember with the chat room was nobody was ever in it. :tumbleweed:

The thing about a chatroom is that it needs its own page, whereas a global shoutbox sits on all pages wherever it's placed (such as right below the banner, on the right hand side of the page, between the topic header and the "logged in as" box, etc)...

Hence, you always see it and you can be reading a thread while chatting in the shoutbox...

I think we should try it for a week or so and then vote to keep it or not...

2 Things about the shoutbox:

1st : I think we should try to find a more versatile version, one that could double as a chatroom (literally a fullsize version of the shoutbox)

2nd : It should be moved to the top of the page (IMO)