Warranty Question?

CenWaSS

I pretty sure if the dealer knew I had the PCM tuned they would cancel the warranty. But what about the bolt on mods? My dealer told me if they added the mods (ie CAI, cat-back) they would honor half the warranty (1.5yrs/18k miles) other than that they would NOT honor the warranty. Does that sound right?

What mods would terminate the warranty? How about my mods PCM upgrade, CAI, Cat-back, LT's, hi flow cats. Is that grounds for a warranty termination, minus the PCM of course?

They can not just "cancel" the warranty. If something broke, say your transmission, they might argue that your PCM was retuned for higher line pressures, firmer shifts, or torque management was removed...if they knew. In a case like this, they might not have to fix your tranny if they could prove those things were changed and that they contributed to the failure of the part.

They could not say that they won't fix a broken water pump because of your CAI, exhaust or tune, because they are not related in any way.

As for the CAI and cat-back...they would have a hard time proving that they contributed to a transmission failure. You could fight them and win.

Just don't tell them about your tune, and if your tranny breaks, don't take it in for warranty work with an aftermarket tune.

Mike

As far as bolt-ons, the warranty should still be fully honored as long as its supposed to be under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Unless the warranty directly stated that a performance bolt-on voids the warranty, you should be covered to full extent. But, if your vehicle's failure is directly attributed to something you added(i.e. performance tuned pcm tearing up the transmission that was warranted for 3 years), then it can be voided. Basically anything that just bolts on cannot void your warranty, so no your mods(PCM excluded) are not grounds for a voided warranty. If you type in Magnuson-Moss warranty Act in a search engine you can get more specific info(or just mention those words to your dealer...).

:bs: You're being played. The law is simple, the dealer/OEM has to show that whatever changes you've made (mods) has caused an issue.

ALSO - another thing to think about, the warranty is not the dealer's warranty, it's GM's warranty. The dealer has no power to change the terms of the warranty, because the warranty is a contract between you an GM, not you and the dealer. The dealer has to serve as GM's agent in full, not just when they want to...

Even with all your mods the dealer must honor the GM 3/36, the only hitch is that when you bring the truck in for warranty issue they must show that your mod specifically caused the specific warranty issue at hand. For example, the dealer cannot refuse to fix the A/C just because you installed a cat-back, because that mod has no effect on the climate control system.

One at a time -

* PCM upgrade - yes if they discover that the PCM has been altered then your entire powertrain warranty is void (engine, trans, driveshafts, axles, AWD/4x4 transfer case). However it requires a GM engineer to determine if the PCM has been reprogrammed, to date I have never heard of a case in all these years of a Mr. Goodwrench figuring out the PCM was altered.

* CAI - technically this will void warranty on your induction and long block, but almost all dealers (like greater than 90%) happily overlook an aftermarket CAI unless it is obviously allowing dirt into the engine.

* Cat-back - totally legit, there is no way changing the muffler has any effect on warranty short of it falling off and you run over it!

* aftermarket LT's and cats - here you are at the mercy of your dealer; the primary exhaust system is a special case because by federal law ALL emissions-related parts on ALL cars made in the last 10 years are required by congressional mandate to be warrantied 10/100. Anyways, reality is that it's about 50/50 crapshoot because some dealers will overlook headers and others will stick to the finepring because truthfully exhaust headers are probably the single largest improvment you can make in bolt-ons to improve airflow (hence power) through the engine. If the dealer does push-back on you they will say the same thing as the PCM which is no warranty on the entire powertrain.

Mr. P.

what everyone is sayin is legit. the best way to not get caught and play it smart is to buy an extra oem factory pcm. and before you take the truck in just switch it out. not usually but SOMETIMES they have to do a reflash on ur pcm and that basically reboots it, erasing everything on there, so i would buy a spare facotry one if i were u

Here you go, it is from K&N, but it is the best explanation that I have found about this myth. They can not cancel or void your warranty unless they prove without a reasonable doubt that your after market part caused a failure that is honored under factory warranty, no if's, and's, or but's about it:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

Something similiar happened to me at a nearby dealer. I had my speedo and the passenger door lock go out. I took it in to the dealer and they told me that because I put in a radio it screwed up the BCM. And that my ENTIRE warranty was voided since the BCM controls everything in the truck. However since they were such "nice" guys they did not void it.

I got in to a mini argument with the service manager he started giving me B.S. about something. All in all I walked out of there never to return with my business. Oh yeah....I also told everyone I know never to go there with their business and also told some local reporters I know to rock the boat. :) They said it was GM policy to void a warranty immediately when they find an aftermarket product.

The problem with American car companies is not the cars....it the dealerships that sell em. I previously had a BMW...got treated like a king there. Payed through the nose for it but it was nice. Then a Subaru, they encouraged mods and safe racing. Then chevy....the buying process was a pain, and so far so good I have been let down. The only reason I have the car I have is because I truly WANTED it. If I was car shopping as most of consumers do....I would have left them in the dust.