Detail That Ss!

Tyler's Touch

Some quick tips for you guys who dont know many tricks! Written by me, Tyler

-Carpet wear and stubborn stains:

*Thoroughly vacuum and scrub the area with a carpet cleaner of some sort, after its still damp from cleaning, vacuum one last time in one direction, (fluffiest way is best). Grab a can of SEM Color Coat carpet and vinyl dye, hold 8-10in away and lightly fan the area. Caution- Use a boundary so you dont get any overspray on your plastic panels or gas pedals etc. I mainly use the plastic temp plates dealerships use for their cars. Allow to dry overnight or place a fan on it for an hour and your good to go! (obv match the color as best you can to the can lol)

-Gum and sticky residue:

Grab a brand new razor blade,(Straight) and hold right under the spot on the carpet and "shave" away the problem. Works great for gum removal on think carpet!

-Collinite 845 Insulator Wax:

One of the best paint sealers around. VERY durable and excellent gloss. I dont recommend use on black, just not a thick enough paste and is somewhat greasy, so light colors, white is best it works unbelievable on a pre cleaned surface...I wax my chrome 20s with this and its like rain x for your chrome, exellent product!

-Tire Shine:

You can spray your wheelwells, suspension and undercarriage with this, awesome shine, awesome durability. Also use on rubber door seals and spot tar and road grease removal, the silicone based dressing breaks down the grease and works great!

-Fog Elimination:

Water in a spray bottle, clean your windows with glass cleaner, and then repeat with regular h20, im a smoker and it still wont haze up!

- Headliner stains: Cig smoke, coffee etc.

*Any foaming glass cleaner (Sprayway) spray on the stain allow to soak for 5-10 seconds, and blot and wipe clean with a towel. After the spot is dry, hit it with a vacuum to fluff it back up!

-Tree sap, Road Tar, Black Streaks:

*Carburetor cleaner, spray 1'' dab on a clean towel, and place directly on the spot of sap or stain, rub back and forth very gently...it dissolves slow but very effective, once its removed, make sure its wiped dry to remove residue, I do not reccommend doing this to like half a hood with a big rag, Im talking little spots, rocker panels etc. Follow with any wax, stand back and smile!

-Spot Stains: Carpet and Upholstery

*Spray stain directly with PinkStuf, or any general purpose cleaner, let it soak, and with an air nozzle, hold 5'' away and blow the stain away, depending on the pressure thats coming through, mines 120 and 5'' away is fine!

-Rocks & debris in running boards and cracks and crevasses

* Small flathead screwdriver to pop out all the junk, and Air Nozzles work great!

-Door Jams: Dirty & Squeaky?

* Any tire shine or silicone-based dressing works great for jams, shines them and also acts as a protectant! Spray 2-3 squirst in the hinge area, then one on the rest, one hell of a shine, no squeaks and no dirt!

-Water Spots on glass

*#00 Fine steel wool, with glass cleaner as lube, rub gently until removed (or vinegar)

-Forget Rain-X

*Any reputable car wax, is an excellent protectant on any glass surface. Apply one window at a time, and remove. I do mine every time I wash my truck, and wow watch that water fly right off!

-What to wax

* Any painted, or smooth (non corrugated) surface can be waxed, Example: Headlights can be waxed, taillights, chrome bumpers, wheels (excellent to do) windows and yes you can do your instrument cluster if your anal like me

-OOPS! Wax on corrugated plastic or molding?

*Not a problem, peanut butter and a small stiff brush works excellent. Or if you need a quick fix, WD40 or tire shine.

ANY questions at all dont be afraid to PM me!

You have so got to go into detail on that peanut butter thing...

I don't know about some of the other guys out here but I can not imagine myself putting peanut butter anywhere on my truck (on purpose... I have made sandwiches on the tailgate, lol)...

• 4 weeks later...
Hey. Interesting tips. Any tips for removing stubborn bugs?

dude you can those bounce laundry sheets and damp it with a lil with water and rub on your paint (it won't harm it) and the bugs will come right off, i've used it since i've owned the truck and it works great

dude you can those bounce laundry sheets and damp it with a lil with water and rub on your paint (it won't harm it) and the bugs will come right off, i've used it since i've owned the truck and it works great

great tip friday when i wash it ima try that(if wheather permitts)

NTMD8R be careful on black, this does work well on light colored trucks...but black I honestly would recommend

good looking out ....i looked at the little towel thing yesterday and said screw that.....what would u recommed...........quick story my neighboor had alot of bugs and he used a brillo pad :uhoh: need less to say when he rinsed the soap off all the bugs where off as well as some of his paint :cool: lol

-OOPS! Wax on corrugated plastic or molding?

*Not a problem, peanut butter and a small stiff brush works excellent. Or if you need a quick fix, WD40 or tire shine.

This isn't so much a fix as it is a cover up... the oils in peanut butter simply mask the dried wax stuck in the crevices of textured/corrugated plastic... same with WD40 or silicone based tire shine. A few hot days or a couple washes later the problem will come back.

To really REMOVE the wax you need to use something that will break down (emulsify) the residue. Using undiluted concentrated soap (I like Optimum car wash), strong dish soap, or full strength undiluted APC directly on the spot will do the trick. When I say undilluted I mean NO WATER AT ALL... pour the soap directly onto the spot or dip your finger in the soap and apply to the spot.

Let the soap or cleaner dwell for a few moments. Use a stiff bristle brush to agitate the area, a cheap toothbrush will work well, and rinse away with lots of water. Make sure to get any and all residual soap/cleaner off of the surface and avoid letting it spend much time if any on the paint.

Follow up with a WATER BASED dressing (no silicone or alcohol containing products)... the cleaning will likely strip the area of any protection it had so it may take a few applications of dressing to bring it back to match the rest of the surrounding plastics sheen.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

Because you have white this is safe b/c its damn near impossible to see swirls and scratches on pure white. If you were to do this on any other color you'd be introducing HUGE amounts of scratches, swirls, and haze to your paint. Thats not to say its not present on your truck... you just can't see it on white.

Stubborn bugs are best treated with a product that will break down the proteins and loosen them from the surface before you attempt to scrub. There are TONS of products out there that are safe to use.... I personally like Turtle Wax's Bug & Tar Remover... I would stay clear of Stoners B&TR, there have been tons of complaints that it discolored headlights and plastics... probably a bit too strong.

For lighter bug contaminents you can get away with a simple wash using a foam wash pad like these from Adams b/c they will not introduce new scratches to the paint.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-52-foam-wash-pad.aspx

After washing you will undoubtedly have some residual specs from the bugs... attack those with claybar and/or a cleaner polish/wax... follow up with your preferred wax for protection.

TIP: Keeping a HEAVY coat of a quality polymer sealer on the front end of your truck will make bug removal much easier. If you live in an area with a lot of bugs its typically best to apply a coat or 2 with EVERY wash to maintain a good protective layer.

Products like Optiseal, REJEX, DER Shiney, etc offer a very strong polymer based seal to the paint and keep bugs from sticking too well. Think of it as greasing a pan before cooking. :D