Gps Units

hugobossvp

So my parents have been nagging me for christmas ideas and i started to think about a GPS unit for the truck. I dont think im going to ask them to drop $1,000 on an in-dash unit so im trying to find something closer to $300-$400 that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter (i dont really want somethign that will hang off of the windshield with suction cups). Can anyone suggest a decent unit in that price range? Do they even make a unit that will plug right into the cigarette lighter? This is foreign territory to me so any help is appreciated.

-Hugo

There are tons of GPS units to fit your wants. I have had a Lowrance IWay 350c, and a 600c for four years now. I suggest sticking with Lowrance, Garmin, or if you have to stoop, Tom Tom. If I were going to buy one today I would get this one so I can use it on my bike.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-zumo-45...gps/zumo450.htm

Lowrance GPS site

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automotive/

Garmin site

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

I have owned quite a few GPS units. The Garmin Nuvi is by far my favorite. I have the Nuvi 350, but there are newer, larger units out there. If you do not have a aux input for an MP3 player, I would suggest getting one of the Nuvis with an FM transmitter so you can hear the directions through your stereo system.

I mount mine on a suction cup (it comes with it). The suction cup mount is a very high quality piece. The only trouble I have had with it is mine got "baked" on in the sun. I tried to move the unit to a different vehicle and ruined the suction cup trying to get it off. I have since bought two mounts and just leave the one in my truck permanently.

I also bought a "friction" mount that is like a heavy flat bean bag with a non slip bottom. I used this for two weeks in Florida in a rental car and it worked flawlessly. I rodded the piss out of that little V6 Rav4 and it never slid once. :)

Hope this helps,

Mike

I have the Garmin c550 and love it. I would suggest getting a extented warranty w/ what ever you buy. I am in Washington State right now and my c550 died on Friday and I just went to Best Buy and they gave me a brand new unit no questions asked.

well it looks like ive got some shopping around to do. but for the most part, it looks like most of you guys are going with the windshield mounted units. I suppose i could live with that as opposed to dropping another $500 on an in-dash unit.

As always, thanks for the feedback guys. :cheers: