Send Out Tuning

zippy

This is a question related to mail order tuning, but directed to tuners. What method do you use to put a customers calibration on their computer if you send them a computer. I'm just curious what method othes use.

Zippy, I am not a tuner, but I have seen several do their thing for mail order tuning. The tuner had a pcm harness and a 12v battery in a carry pack and hooked it all up on the bench to apply the tune to the pcm.

CD

Zippy, I am not a tuner, but I have seen several do their thing for mail order tuning. The tuner had a pcm harness and a 12v battery in a carry pack and hooked it all up on the bench to apply the tune to the pcm.

CD

I've seen the same thing with LS1 Edit however no battery was needed :dunno:

Not exactly what I mean. I also use a benchtop harness as I'd expect others do. I'm just curious where they get the O.S. for the vehicle. When I do them it is a damn long process.

hook up harness to pcm

hook up harness to battery

hook up Tunercat cable

change vin to match what customers truck is

use tech 2 to read the vin I just put in there

hook tech 2 to a terminal here at the dealer

load latest gm calibration for that vin (stock) on the tech 2

load calibration to the pcm from the tech 2

read the pcm with Tunercat or HP Tuners

modify the calibration

reload the improved calibration

put away tech 2, pcm benchtop harness, Tunercat cable, HP Tuners cable, battery, and laptop :banghead:

My process is this.

Grab VIN from Customer, either through their calibrations that they've emailed (using one of my scan cables) or as they've told me.

Go to calid.gm.com and grab appropriate OS and calibration IDs.

Locate matching OS and cal IDs from my stock of factory tunes (Typically not needed if they've emailed this to me)

Save copy of stock tune to a folder specific to customer

Save modified copy of tune to that folder

If the PCM was sent to me and the OS matches the latest available:

Hook PCM to bench Harness

Reflash Calibrations only

Wait 15 seconds

Ship

If it's PCM from my stock or customer supplied and OS does not match:

Hook to bench harness

Full Flash OS and Calibrations

Wait 15 seconds

Change VIN (as applicable)

Wait 15 seconds

Verify that VIN was changed

Ship

I probably do it a more difficult way by using the tech 2 and always going for the most current OS or even just loading the one right from the GM terminal. Without my Tunercat, sending out pcm's is a pain in the ass. I miss my laptop...

or you can see how a tuner can not know what they are doing and screw you up. thanks for sharing the stuff that goes into tuning, not to mention doing all the actual tuning. YOu guys are lifesavers.
:withstupid: I still want to do it, though. I'm reading as much as I can from these guys, and I'm glad y'all are willing to share your experience with us.