Engine Stumbles At Idle

johnkoestler

My Truck stumbles at idle and will drop below 600 RPM. What the hell do you think could be causing this? My engine overheated before this started happening. But sometimes it will high idle up to 900 RPM. I added remote start and o2 sensor eliminators just before all of this started happening. Could anyone help me out? Truck runs great when above 600 RPM.

Mine first starts, idles at 900, and after it warms up, drops down to 600, and sometimes 500... doens't seem to stumble much, yet something changing between D and R, it kills the engine.

Mine does this from time to time, before and after I've had the remote starter added.

Yeah, that is what I was told to do, but it's December... don't really have the desire to stand out in this cold weather taking it apart. Just got a bottle of the sea foam stuff, gonna try it as suggested, see if it helps. BUT, like I said, the truck only does that every so often, but I don't know why it idles so low, but it doesn't stumble... maybe cause the air is so cold now?

if you think that the tb needs to be cleaned you could take some of that choke/carb cleaner stuff and spray in the intake tube. my father-in-law has a 95 pontiac bonneville with close to 200,000 miles and it started choking a couple of weeks ago. We changed the plugs and it was still acting up. so he took some of the cleaner and sprayed in the intake tube. I kept the rpms close to 3000 to keep it running cause the car hates that stuff, but a bunch of black crap came out of the tail pipes and it runs great now! not sure if it will cause any sort of damage or not but that is just my experience.

oh yea, of that doesnt work, it might be your idle control sensor, mine went bad on my stang a few years back and thats exactly what my car did, what you are describing.

Edited by superredss (see edit history)

My Truck stumbles at idle and will drop below 600 RPM. What the hell do you think could be causing this? My engine overheated before this started happening. But sometimes it will high idle up to 900 RPM. I added remote start and o2 sensor eliminators just before all of this started happening. Could anyone help me out? Truck runs great when above 600 RPM.

You said the truck overheated.......my question is how bad? Sounds as if there could be a bad head gasket.....is the truck difficult to start at all? and has there been any coolant loss?

There is probably a better chance of a sticky IAC(idle air control) which would cause an erradic/rough idle. Running some SeaFoam through the gas tank may help too.