Cat Code Is Back...got A Few Question

SSThunder

Why do you need to gut them? The aftermarket high flow cats often will set codes and rarely plug up. They tend to just not be as efficient at lowering the amount of unburnt gasses getting past them to the rear sensors. Pretty much everyone that has long tubes with aftermarket high flow cats will get codes if they don't turn off the rear O2's.

I was getting an:

P0430 Engine controller ($10) - - - - - - C - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

GM said it was the cats, and wanted $1200 to replace them (they blamed the supercharger and would not warranty them). So I bought some slightly used cats from foxySS (thanks :thumbs: ), who was going with some high flow cats, and had the stockers laying around. That solved my problem. The old cats looked fine visually. Probably just cooked off the platinum enough to reduce their efficiency.

Why do you need to gut them? The aftermarket high flow cats often will set codes and rarely plug up. They tend to just not be as efficient at lowering the amount of unburnt gasses getting past them to the rear sensors. Pretty much everyone that has long tubes with aftermarket high flow cats will get codes if they don't turn off the rear O2's.

Hi Zippy, I'm worried that code means my cat is clogging up. I've had the headers and high flow cats on for awhile and never got the code till after I added the radix and put on the 3.0 pulley. I'm afraid if I turn the code off and they clog, i'll be saying bye-bye to my engine. Does naybody know the signs of a clogged cat?

Does naybody know the signs of a clogged cat?

Jeremy there are a few signs........

A rancid rotten egg smell

Extremely poor gas mileage

A loud rattle at certain RPMs

Do you have true duals? If so place your hand by the tailpipe with the engine running, you should

feel the exhaust pressure blowing against your hand.........if not, the cat is most likely clogged.

:chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Jeremy there are a few signs........

A rancid rotten egg smell

Extremely poor gas mileage

A loud rattle at certain RPMs

Do you have true duals? If so place your hand by the tailpipe with the engine running, you should

feel the exhaust pressure blowing against your hand.........if not, the cat is most likely clogged.

:chevy:

Dan, I don't have any of those so I might just turn the code off and monitor the engine and see how she does. I don't have true duals.

• 2 weeks later...
Dan, I don't have any of those so I might just turn the code off and monitor the engine and see how she does. I don't have true duals.

Check around to the guys that are running long tubes and aftermarket cats. You'll find that most of them have the exact same issue. The cats aren't plugged, but they simply aren't reducing the emissions enough to keep the light off.

Check around to the guys that are running long tubes and aftermarket cats. You'll find that most of them have the exact same issue. The cats aren't plugged, but they simply aren't reducing the emissions enough to keep the light off.

I don't have any signs of a bad cat so I loaded your new tune that turns the code off and it's running fine.

I took out my cats today and put in flex pipe sections and its waaaaay too loud. I knew it would be louder but it sounds like it did when I had no muffler, its sick. I guess I gotta get used to it though cause my new pcm is tuned for no cats

• 3 weeks later...

i had a plugged up solid cat last week. truck would barley run. i had codes, P-0101, P-0300, and 2 codes for P-0430. put hi flows on and damn the truck came alive. might have been semi clogged for a while. and its way! louder now also. i love it, and its tech legal!