Good Quality Pocket Knife

Champion201

My Red Headed Step Child wants a good quality pocket knife for one of his Christmas presents. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I would like to get him a good one.

I know Buck has always made good knives, what other brands are good?

THANX

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COLD STEEL FTW...

i was a cold steel dealer for some time... great knives, very sharp... BUT - everyone i ever sold one to i personally wrote -

"This knife is extremely sharp... be sure to write me an email when you cut yourself!"

For every knife i sold, i alwats got an email... really!

Most of the cheaper Buck knives are now made in China. You can still find some Schrade Old Timers on Amazon.com. I have always carried a Victorinox (Swiss Army). The Victorinox are also very sharp. They use good steel that is easy to keep sharp and stays sharp well.

Mike

Gerber hands down for the money. I assume you don't want to spend $100+ right? I have used gerbers, buck, schrade, browning, among others to gut deer and other things. The gerbers held their edge better than all others. Don't get me wrong, they will all cut, but I believe gerbers are the best in the $20-$50 price range. I'm sure someone is going to chime in and say gerber is crap though. To each their own.

I would avoid browning no matter what you choose.

If you want a badass knife go with a benchmade. They are pricy as hell but well worth every penny. I have 3-4 of them. If you want one of them I could let one go a lot cheaper than what you would pay anywhere else. In fact one of them is still new never used it.

Bench made is top notch unless you go custom. I went custom when I lost my benchmade. I carry a Chris English Z knife. See link below.

I am sure you don't want to give one of these away but they are beautiful, and when you hit the button hold on they have some torque to em.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/sold/?artist=587

Gerber hands down for the money. I assume you don't want to spend $100+ right? I have used gerbers, buck, schrade, browning, among others to gut deer and other things. The gerbers held their edge better than all others. Don't get me wrong, they will all cut, but I believe gerbers are the best in the $20-$50 price range. I'm sure someone is going to chime in and say gerber is crap though. To each their own.

:withstupid:

They do make some good knives and the prices aren't bad at all. Also I have one made by SOG and a camillus knive.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_de...tml?s=CMCU2315B

SOG Trident Tini These goes for about $100.00 I'm sure you can prob find it some where cheaper.

http://sogknives.com/store/TF-1.html

I love both these knives I have and also the gerber which makes some good products

If you want a badass knife go with a benchmade. They are pricy as hell but well worth every penny. I have 3-4 of them. If you want one of them I could let one go a lot cheaper than what you would pay anywhere else. In fact one of them is still new never used it.

Danny, PM Sent!

I also have 3 or 4 Benchmades and love all of them. They hold a great edge and when they do go dull..i. if you are not good at sharpening...send it to them and they will sharpen it for you. When you get it back it is like new. Even if you break the tip...they repair it and send it back...FOR NOTHING!

My cousin works at gerber, and I've gotten several from him and like them all. As I'm sure with most of the manufactures out there, they guarentee their stuff for life, if the blade does go dull, you send it back to them and they send you a new knife.

Spyderco - goddamned sharp; I have personally seen at one of our team roping events a man cut through a 3/8" rope (lariat rope) in one cut - it saved that team roper's hand. If you are not familiar with lariat rope, it's extremely difficult to cut, almost pure nylon and very very tough and this knife went through it in one cut, until then I would have never believed any knife capable of that. Highly recommend.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)