Tranny Went Out At 60,660 Miles

:cry: Coming home from Galseburg, IL a week and a half ago, my trans went ka-ploo-ee. I was driving a steady speed (about 72-ish) and had to kick off the cruise for a semi-truck, then when I hit the gas again to speed back up, the trans searched for a gear, shuddered a couple of times, then I noticed the trans temp... about 275 degrees!!! :fume: I was able to get it into a parking lot at the mall exit I happened to be at and had to rent a car to drive the rest of the way home (about 120 miles one way). The next evening, a flatbed and $365 tow bill later I had the truck home in my garage. Nothing like having to add the cost of a trans on top of Holiday bills!!! The really STUPID thing about the timing of this failure is that I've been test driving little gas saver cars and was going to sell the SS in January! Damn it! Now I have to put money into it just to get rid of it! :banghead:

Thanks to Steve (Mr. P) for talking over my options with me that night as I was driving home. It really helped me sleep better knowing what I was in for when I eventually look inside. We agreed that the pump was the mail failure, letting things slip inside, which shot the temp way up. The fluid has a burned smell and was looking a quart or two high on the dipstick (pump drains itself when it fails, raising the level).

I just want to double check with you and all: Does any 4x4 and/or AWD trans from 2003 work regardless of engine size? I just want to make sure before I drag one home (found several local ones for 600 bucks with decent miles). Thanks guys!