What Is The Factory Spare Rim And Tire Size For A 2003 Ss?

YenkoChevelle69

I found out (thanks to Krambo) that I can't use the spare anymore since I put on Baer brakes. Won't fit. Bought some flat fix to carry around instead.

IMO if its bad enough to have to change it Fix a Flat wont fix it. If 16" is too small get a bigger size. I got a grey SS rim 20" of course and a good used tire to mount on it for under $300 and it fits under the truck with no problems.

IMO if its bad enough to have to change it Fix a Flat wont fix it. If 16" is too small get a bigger size. I got a grey SS rim 20" of course and a good used tire to mount on it for under $300 and it fits under the truck with no problems.

I'd only hope to go as far as the next gas station. But I know what you mean. And, don't you know I just sold my stock rims. Oh well... I was curious if a 20 would fit under the truck. Thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye out for a used 20" wheel around my area.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

The nbs trucks and suv's use a 17" spare that will fit over the baer brakes.And I personally tested it!

I'd only hope to go as far as the next gas station. But I know what you mean. And, don't you know I just sold my stock rims. Oh well... I was curious if a 20 would fit under the truck. Thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye out for a used 20" wheel around my area.

Exactly..thats my luck. I would have a blow out on the highway in the middle of the night in B.F.E..lol so I figure its always a good idea to keep a spare on the truck.

The 20 fits no problem under the hoist??? Interesting....

Anyways this happened to me the other day, I carry fix a flat and I SHREDDED my tire. I lifted the truck up with the stock jack. I must stress this, the stock jack is DANGEROUS. After I took the tire off I lifted it up a bit more for easy on, and one of the bolts of the jack snapped and the truck LUCKILY came down on the spare since I was already putting it on.

Worse freaking sound is to hear the crack when your lifting that monster up.

I must stress this, the stock jack is DANGEROUS.

I agree 100%. The stock jack is dangerous on dry, level pavement. Wouldn't want to ever try to use that thing on the side of the road. I've got a small 2 1/2 ton floor jack that I carry whenever I have to go far. Whoever designed the original should be forced to try and use it sometime. :mad: